• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MARS_999

128bit texture formats? Which ones? What paint programs?

This topic is 4809 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking at working with 128bit texture formats, and was wondering what file format supports it? What programs are out that will load and save them. Thanks

Advertisement
i personally have not heard of any commericial drawing/editing program that supports 32 bits per channel. Outside of 3d rendering and post-processing, I didn't know there was much of a demand of 128bit image processing. I know that Final Cut Pro and After Effects supports several 32 bits per pixel bitmap formats, but thats more for post procesing not for 'editing' per se.

I do remember seeing a Photoshop RLA importer, but i'm pretty sure that only supported 8 bit RLA files.

I think that would create far more colors then the human eye can distinguish. 24 bit (about 65k colors) creates I think almost as many colors as we can detect.

Photoshop CS2 supports hdr images with 32-bit floating point precision per channel. However, most of the art tools won't work with this format yet. You can do tone mapping and blurring, and that's about it.

3D Studio Max and Maya both support hdr as input and output format.

I think there are many more applications which support hdr images besides these.

@Foot Soldier: High dynamic range is used mainly in post-processing effects - it is beneficial to be able to store both darkest shadows and brightest shines in a same image, with high precision for both.

By the way, 24-bit is 16777216 colors, with 256 levels for each color component. This is the format that the hdr data is often tonemapped to for final display. With greater contrast ratio display devices available, deeper pixel formats will be used for this purpose in the near future (and some pro cards already support them).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!