Where is "Start Menu" located?

Started by
4 comments, last by safe 18 years, 7 months ago
On my computer (Win2000), there are two folders: Administrator.ND1.001 All Users.WINNT contain "Start Menu" folder. It seems changed from computer to computer. How to get the folder that the "Start Menu" located? is there any API functions or where can I find the information about this? Thanks a lot!
Advertisement
All users are items that *all users* can see in their menu.

Administrator's start menu contains items only he/she can see.

Understand? "all users" is global, and each user has it's own private start menu folder.
"It's such a useful tool for living in the city!"
Thanks for your quick reply.
But I don't know why "All Users" and "Administrator" don't work on my computer? They are "Administrator.ND1.001" and "All Users.WINNT" while some of the computers work.

There are two separate start menu locations that are combined at runtime to become the start menu the user sees: all user start menu, and per-user start menu. You can retrieve the location via SHGetFolderPath and passing in CSIDL_STARTMENU or CSIDL_COMMON_STARTMENU. If you want the Start Menu\Programs folder, use CSIDL_PROGRAMS or CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS.

Quote:Original post by safe
Thanks for your quick reply.
But I don't know why "All Users" and "Administrator" don't work on my computer? They are "Administrator.ND1.001" and "All Users.WINNT" while some of the computers work.

Did you by any chance install over a previous installation? That could explain the weird names.

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much mutex!
It is so useful for me.
Best Wishes!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement