pump up the sound!

Started by
8 comments, last by Drew_Benton 18 years, 7 months ago
hey, where can i find some tutorials on how to use opengl sound, like playing audio files, blah blah blah, i'm using ogre3d, a rendering engine, but it doens't do sound, only rendering, i wasgoing to use opengl for sound, i've googled it, but i couldn't find anything thanks -Avont
Advertisement
OpenGL (or Open Graphics Library) doesn't provide sound support. Take a look at FMOD for a potent solution.

Edit: Woa, crazy rating.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
i'm looking forsomething free, i plan on selling this game, and i ain't payin almost a quarter million dollars for no sound engine
There is an OpenAL.
(comment from the peanut gallery) I take it that stands for Open AUDIO library? Is that compatible with OpenGL at all?
I fail to see how you made 1,000$ to add up to a quarter million, but that being said, there's also OpenAL

Edit: beaten

Quote:(comment from the peanut gallery) I take it that stands for Open AUDIO library? Is that compatible with OpenGL at all?

It's 'compatible' like your stove is compatible with your freezer. They don't interfere.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
The analogy is a bit ambiguous. I take it you mean you CAN use them in the same program?
Yes, they are independant libraries, they have no 'special link' like the name might lead you to think.
Quote:Original post by Avont29
i'm looking forsomething free, i plan on selling this game, and i ain't payin almost a quarter million dollars for no sound engine

FMOD has a very good license whether the game is free or you make a small amount of money off of it. Of course, if you plan to roll in the big millions, you'd have a steeper license fee.

But then you'd be able to pay that fee quite easily.
Take a look into FMOD or OpenAL. There's also Audiere, but no entry is up yet in the FAQ.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement