About animate 2D spirit

Started by
14 comments, last by Zeraan 18 years, 7 months ago
hi all! I'm a beginner about 2D game programmer. I know I will change the different picture of the spirit make it animate. But I think this way maybe low efficienty. I want to know if there are ways to make it animate? For example, How does a cartoon editor of which I heared? Any comment will be welcome. Thanks!
Advertisement
If you mean the 2D animation, such as explosions or like in Super Mario Bros with Mario moving around, then the only way is to have many images in sequence.

What I do is to tile all those together in one big bitmap file, then have Frame to keep count of the current frame.

pseudo code:

if(right button down)
{
Frame += 1
if(Frame > 30) //30 frames of walking
Frame = 0
}

That's one way of doing it.

then do this:

Tile.x = Frame * Tile.size //if each tile is 16 pixels long, then 20*16 will get you to the 20th tiled frame.

then draw the bitmap.

Edit: If you mean animate like in 3D models being able to move around and bending, then it's impossible in the 2D sense. The 2D method is that you have different bitmaps for parts of the bitmap. Such like having bitmap animation for arm, so you just draw different frames for the arm, but keeping the body same, or do combination. This is utilized in some games to achieve smooth animation effects. But requires more work though.
i need something in allegro for walking but i dont understand how to do it
Quote:Original post by Zeraan
The 2D method is that you have different bitmaps for parts of the bitmap. Such like having bitmap animation for arm, so you just draw different frames for the arm, but keeping the body same, or do combination. This is utilized in some games to achieve smooth animation effects. But requires more work though.

I think this way maybe well display, but how to programme in this way? Give me some suggest, Thanks!
I want to know if there is a way like that I just play a spirit's walk file which contain a cartoon. In this way, I will only play a file when I want to make the spirit move.
Well friend, there is long trail ahead of you. I'm not saying I'm done with it but it appears I'm a little bit further.

Quote:I will only play a file when I want to make the spirit move.

Do not worry about playing file. This way or another most likely you want to load all the bitmaps images at the game start (or start of each level, or actually whenever you want but a simple game should be able to load all of them at startup) since they are all in the memory until you delete them.

To make things even simpler, this is how I did it developing my first project. I put all images into different bitmap files:

LoadImage ('ThinkingHard01')
LoadImage ('ThinkingHard02')
LoadImage ('ThinkingHard03')
When I wanted to animate I had to check what time is it. Ok we have 0.000 sec, cool – let’s display the first image on the screen

DisplayImage ('ThinkingHard01')

Now, depending on how many frames per second you wish you make another time check. Let’s say you want a frame every half second, so as long as the counter shows: 0.5 sec – display:

DisplayImage ('ThinkingHard02')

Time=1 sec:

DisplayImage ('ThinkingHard03')

This above is a very VERY simple and generalized animation approach.

I cannot provide you a link to any article about animation, but here: <a href="http://piotr.monsmontis.net/laststandeng.html>link to my first project. some extremally simple animation efects. i guess you may find them useful.

Good luck

Peter
Ok, what I'd suggest is to make a class that contains your player's animation stuff, so that it'd be easier to work with.

If you want to use the multi-bitmap method (using more than one bitmap at same time for animation) then I would do like this:
class Person{private:    T_2DObject Frames[3][10]; //3 different frames, 10 frames each part    int X,Y; //Stores the arbitary locations    int Frame; //Which Frame it is on, can add more for individual parts    int Speed; //stores the frames per second for your game speed to calculate animation    //This is all the basic storage variables you'll need.  Now for the functions    MoveArm1(); //Moves the arm, the frame state is stored in the class    MoveArm2(); //Moves the other armpublic:    Person(istream&); //Pass a file input method here to load up the bitmap for animation    void Walk(int Direction, int FPS); //This handles all the walking stuff    void Display(); //Displays the current bitmap};//a sample Walk function may look like this:void Person::Walk(int Dir, int FPS);{    Speed += float(FPS)/10.00; //10 frames per sec for animation    if(Speed > = .1) //Is it time to update frame?    {        MoveArm1();        MoveArm2();        Frame++;        if(Frame > 10) //repeat the animation cycle            Frame = 0;    }}//MoveArm1() would look like above, using the Frame2 and Frame3.void Display()// would look like this:{    Display.DrawBitmap(Frame[0][Frame], X, Y, other display stuff here); //Draw the body    //then when you draw arms, you need to add or subtract from the X,Y to get the proper position.  For example if it is 5 pixels higher than Y is, then do this    Display.DrawBitmap(Frame[1][Frame], X, Y-5, other display stuff here);    //and so forth.}

That's the very barebones of an animation class. Hope this helps!

Also, don't forget to update the X,Y coordinates when moving!

[Edited by - Zeraan on September 12, 2005 12:07:11 PM]
Have a look at this Allegro Tutorial. It covers sprite animation in lesson 7.
Zeraan

could you put that in the code box thingy so i see it better?
I'm going to be the devil's advocate and shout out SDL as it, in my opinion, is a more complete API.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
I'm going to be the devil's advocate and shout out SDL as it, in my opinion, is a more complete API.

I only provided the allegro link because I assumed that the first AP was also the OP. ;)

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
i need something in allegro for walking but i dont understand how to do

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement