rayman 3 source

Started by
10 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 5 months ago
hi anybody now how to start modding rayman games? where do i start?
Matt : mattb0001@hotmail.comClick me please
Advertisement
Well, in order to mod a game the developer needs to release a Software Development Kit (SDK) to the community. A collection of tools and source code that can be compiled to create extra material. I'm not aware that this has been done for Rayman so I think your luck is out.
you could hack it. you'll need a good understanding of the system the game runs on, to even attempt it tho. and keep in mind it's all in assembly. it can and has been done tho, look at all the bootleg nintendo stuff.

Tim
Or you could try to contact the Developers of Rayman 3. I don't think they will give you their source code but the Rayman branche of Ubisoft is quite friendly-- they have cool forums and are open to user input.
Quote:Original post by ghosted
Well, in order to mod a game the developer needs to release a Software Development Kit (SDK) to the community. A collection of tools and source code that can be compiled to create extra material. I'm not aware that this has been done for Rayman so I think your luck is out.

yes, thank you all but to "gosted" i would like t say i'm not an idiot i do know what a sdk is i just thought maybe a hack would be better.

If you already know things, then it's usually best to tell people what you know up front. When you say "where do i start?" then people are going to start from the beginning.
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
If you already know things, then it's usually best to tell people what you know up front. When you say "where do i start?" then people are going to start from the beginning.

sorry,

just a stupid question,

is hacking a games's source legal?

Quote:Original post by gamerking

Most games have terms in their EULA which explicitly disallow reverse engineering of the game code, so I'd say no. If the developers wanted you to mod or alter the game, they'd supply a SDK or other information to allow you to do so.
Quote:Original post by evolutional
Quote:Original post by gamerking

Most games have terms in their EULA which explicitly disallow reverse engineering of the game code, so I'd say no. If the developers wanted you to mod or alter the game, they'd supply a SDK or other information to allow you to do so.

However, breaking the EULA is probably not illegal as such, but perhaps revokes your right to use the game.

This is debatable however, since (a) EULAs are arguably not fair contracts and thus unenforceable, and (b) the legislation of several countries explicitly allows for reverse engineering for interoperability purposes.
From what I remember of our course on IT law, reverse engineering is allowed for creating foreign products capable of communicating with the original software, i.e. analyzing file formats and network protocols. Additionally this was one of those rights that could not be given up in a license agreement (otherwise it would be pretty useless).

Obviously this is a safeguard against monopolies. Consider the consequences to the word processing market if no one could other than Microsoft could open Word documents for instance.

It's probably not quite as simple as that though..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement