• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
k1ngp1n

1st direct3d engine

This topic is 4815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

what would be the tutorials i need to read in order to create a direct3d engine with huge levels with rolling hills like WoW?

Advertisement
For OpenGL, try NeHe. He has 40 + tutorials. You can find them on this site (search the Articles section)
For DirectX I would recomend 32Bit tutorials: www.32bit.co.uk.

You must keep in mind however that in order to make a powerfull engine you need to have a very good grasp on C++ (or whatever programming language you are using) and the Graphics API.
It is better to start small. Go bigger only when you are familiar with the basic techniques.

I'm already using NeHe's tutorials. [wink] Just having a problem with compiling code beyong lesson 5 (but that's on another thread). Now I know what to look forward to. :D

Guest Anonymous Poster
Tutorials are for introducing simple concepts to beginners. Huge levels with rolling hills are not really a simple concept.

Look for tutorials on terrain as a starting point, but to do anything more than a simple heightmap you'll need to read academic papers, not tutorials. Nobody will hold your hand through creating WoW step by step.

That said, here are some buzzwords for your googling pleasure:

The huge levels bit comes down to having a good spatial partitioning scheme (quadtree / octree / ABtree), and good LOD (level of detail) scheme (Chunked LOD, geomipmaps, etc) and a paging scheme for loading and unloading bits of the terrain as the view moves. Ulrich's ChunkedLOD (google for it) is a good example of these things in combination.

also check out www.vterrain.org

Would a 13-year old be able to get academic papers? [wink] I'm stuck with tutorials and books for the moment, and I haven't had time to get a book, so I'm stuck with tutorials.

I was just trying to point out to the OP that massive terrain engines are difficult, and an active area of research.

At 13 you probably don't have the maths skills for a lot of papers, but only you can tell. My maths skills suck, so I'm not the best person to ask.

I skipped a grade, am homeschooled and enrolled in an accredited homeschooling school, and am taking Honors Math and Honors Biology at 9th grade. But I'm guessing that's a bit off topic? I'm good at math, but I have no knowledge of trigonometry (but that'll change soon).

i forgot to mention im only searching for c# direct3d tutorials that are introductory level and include creating a world you can go around in that has terrain

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!