Thinking about mini games...

Started by
5 comments, last by Iron Chef Carnage 18 years, 7 months ago
Well, I'm thinking about the ideas of casual games and mini games There are lots of mini games such as flash-style... But the game mechinics are nearly the same... There are all ACT or PUZ etc... You can see dozens of games are ZUMA-like... So it's hard to think out an exactly NEW idea.. Who has some advices about that? I feel I'm out of creativities..........god...>_<
Advertisement
What is ACT, PUZ, and ZUMA?
Have you considered analyzing and breaking down just what those games are? What resources do they give you? What decisions do they allow you to make? Are there any feelings or mental states that they instill (like panicked laughter, or serious concentration)?

I've been studying old games like Fox and Geese and Pente for their structural elements for awhile now. I notice that it helps me a lot to figure out what the victory board looks like. Is it 4 in a row? Is it connecting dots? Is it that you have to make pieces connect and touch any 2 or 3 sides of the board. The victory board REALLY influences the strategies you can make available to the player in getting there.

To really get outside the box, I'd recharge creativity by playing lots of other games, but stay away from computer games for a bit. If you can find them, try out the games from this website. They've got some weird games like "Bitin' Off Heads" (where you play dinosaurs like bumpercars), Salem Witch Trials (where you accuse people of evil crimes like vegetarianism) and Save Dr. Lucky (where you race through a sinking ship trying to be the first to commit suicide to get into history).

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

[google] Zuma is a pretty fun game. I haven't played the others.
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
I always recommend ignoring games when you start struggling for creativity. It's too easy to get caught up in what has already been done. Even critiquing such titles often leads to a certain amount of cloning. As such, I'd recommend looking elsewhere for a source of inspiration and I don't mean films, tv or books.

Did you know the idea for Pikmin came about when Shigeru Miyamoto started thinking back to his childhood where he liked to sit and watch ants? Simple as that. Try the same yourself (not looking at ants) but taking something that intrigues you, be it mechanically or visually, and start twisting it into a challenge. Not a game, but a challenge.
Quote:Original post by Wavinator
Have you considered analyzing and breaking down just what those games are? What resources do they give you? What decisions do they allow you to make? Are there any feelings or mental states that they instill (like panicked laughter, or serious concentration)?

I've been studying old games like Fox and Geese and Pente for their structural elements for awhile now. I notice that it helps me a lot to figure out what the victory board looks like. Is it 4 in a row? Is it connecting dots? Is it that you have to make pieces connect and touch any 2 or 3 sides of the board. The victory board REALLY influences the strategies you can make available to the player in getting there.

To really get outside the box, I'd recharge creativity by playing lots of other games, but stay away from computer games for a bit. If you can find them, try out the games from this website. They've got some weird games like "Bitin' Off Heads" (where you play dinosaurs like bumpercars), Salem Witch Trials (where you accuse people of evil crimes like vegetarianism) and Save Dr. Lucky (where you race through a sinking ship trying to be the first to commit suicide to get into history).

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

[google] Zuma is a pretty fun game. I haven't played the others.

Thanks a lot!!!
I feel better now...and I will write sth about the gameplay of mini games soon~~~
Quote:Original post by ghosted
I always recommend ignoring games when you start struggling for creativity. It's too easy to get caught up in what has already been done. Even critiquing such titles often leads to a certain amount of cloning. As such, I'd recommend looking elsewhere for a source of inspiration and I don't mean films, tv or books.

Did you know the idea for Pikmin came about when Shigeru Miyamoto started thinking back to his childhood where he liked to sit and watch ants? Simple as that. Try the same yourself (not looking at ants) but taking something that intrigues you, be it mechanically or visually, and start twisting it into a challenge. Not a game, but a challenge.

Yes.It's quite a challenge...
It's easy to make a game complicated but hard to make a game EASY...

Pikmin is a great game! I like Nintendo's games because they are full of creativities///

Mini-games are like pop songs. Sometimes you make something everyone hates, sometimes you makes something good, but forgetable, other times you make something that lasts for a while. Rarely, on special occasions, you get the Funkytown of minigames, and it lasts forever.

I say make a whole load of them, derivative or not, and then playtest and adjust them until they're awesome.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement