• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FlyingDemon

Screen Space Error for ROAM?

This topic is 4810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been working with the ROAM algorithm for large terrains and I've read in several places about a error metrics. I know that they're used to check if something needs to be split or merged, but what exactly is a screen space error metric? The area of the screen that a specific ROAM triangle occupies or something else? If it is, or isn't, how would I calculate it?

Advertisement
The metric is simply the distance (in pixels) between the location of a vertex and the location of the same vertex when the triangle is not split. If distance is greater than the threshold value, you split the triangle.

Ideally, you compute the distance in pixels by transforming the locations of the vertex into screen space. But that is computationally expensive, so you might optimize the test by computing a world space threshold value that depends on the FOV and screen resolution, and then check the distance in world space.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!