• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xportz

OpenGL Quicktime VR-style game engine

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been developing a game for a while now, and am looking into the technologies to see my vision brought to fruition. I'm strongly learning towards a 360 degree panorama engine that has been done to great success in Myst III, IV, Return to Mysterious Island, and many others. I do know that most 3D modelling applications will render 360 degree panoramas, but I am unsure as to how they might be implemented into a functional game engine. Perhaps mapping the renders onto an OpenGL cynlinder or sphere? Any help with the theory behind these game engines would be MUCH appreciated. Google has been no help at all... Thanks, Ryan

Advertisement
Hi,

Try rendering the six sides of a cube. Much less triangles and data to handle, plus the effect is the same. Only texture size may be a problem, but you could consider slicing the sides into four or more for more control. That's something that's horror to do with spheres.

I've used this techniek with success in the past, loading sides on demand.

Try Googling for Helmut Dersch[google]. He has some excellent theory and tools for the job.

hth,
CipherCraft

Thank you very much for the response. Forums are awesome :)

I guess a cube would be a more simple precedure, but would the sides of the image distort as you look around, as in the commercial game engines I just mentioned?

I think having the distorted edges really makes the illusion more realistic.

The amount of distortion is up to you. If you render the sides correctly and place them together so there's no creasing, OpenGL will draw it perspective correctly. (...not sure that last bit is proper English, but I think you get the point [wink])

The only real problem with this approach is memory management; the rest is already there.

hth,
CipherCraft

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!