Is Dev Cpp any good?

Started by
10 comments, last by SKATIN_HARD 18 years, 7 months ago
I am trying to find a good free c++ compiler that can make programs in windows, hopefully games. I was thinking of using the lib crystalspace also. So is thsi dev cpp a good compiler? and does anyone know how well it will work with crystalspace? thansk
Advertisement
Personally, I love Dev_C++, but I'm having trouble getting it to work with OpenGL...
Dev-CPP isn't a compiler. It is an IDE. GCC is the compiler. Dev-CPP uses the MinGW port of GCC as the compiler. It is good enough.

Whether or not Dev-CPP is a good IDE depends on who you're talking to. I personally use Code::Blocks directly with MinGW

Considering that Crystal Space does have a Linux version, I am confident that it will work well with GCC.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:Original post by Fruny
I personally use Code::Blocks directly with MinGW

Taking that as a suggestion, I'd second it. :)

In the area of IDEs: while Dev-C++ has been around longer, Code::Blocks has a larger team of developers and is seeing more activity and more releases. The one problem (pet peeve, really) I had with it (no end-of-line whitespace removal) was remedied in the CVS just a few weeks ago, so I'm in the midst of switching over to using it as my primary IDE rather than MSVC++.

Add to what I've already mentioned the fact that it works with both GNU and Microsoft compilers, and you've got yourself a good IDE.

Cheers,
Twilight Dragon
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
Personally speaking, I've tried Dev-Cpp over the years, and although I supported the effort, it was always buggy, and sometimes significantly so (ie. being unable to work if you installed it in 'program files', for example). Then Code::Blocks came along and worked somewhat better as soon as I saw it. The only thing Code::Blocks lacked when I last used it a few months back was Find-In-Files, which may have been fixed now. You might also find it a little tougher to use libraries with Code::Blocks than Dev-Cpp since Dev-Cpp has the DevPaks, but apart from that, I have to recommend Code::Blocks (choose the "with MINGW compiler" download).

I also would like to suggest that you try Code::blocks, it's flexible and has most necessary features. I had some trouble with it constantly eating 50% of my CPU-cycles, though, which was quite annoying.
Quote:Original post by TDragon
Quote:Original post by Fruny
I personally use Code::Blocks directly with MinGW

Taking that as a suggestion, I'd second it. :)

In the area of IDEs: while Dev-C++ has been around longer, Code::Blocks has a larger team of developers and is seeing more activity and more releases. The one problem (pet peeve, really) I had with it (no end-of-line whitespace removal) was remedied in the CVS just a few weeks ago, so I'm in the midst of switching over to using it as my primary IDE rather than MSVC++.

Add to what I've already mentioned the fact that it works with both GNU and Microsoft compilers, and you've got yourself a good IDE.

Cheers,
Twilight Dragon

Thirded, while Dev-C++ is good, I also prefur Code::blocks as my free IDE of choice. It feels more complete than Dev-C++ to me and the fact that it works with GNU, MS, and Borland compilers out of the box (if they're installed) is great. Visual Studio is still my main IDE, but I imagine thats because I'm not doing anything intended for cross-platform release currently, but for the price Code::blocks can't be beat, IMHO.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I got a free version of Visual Studio from my school, your school might offer the same thing. Just ask one of your teachers. As far as I can tell, nothing is missing in this "educational" edition of Visual Studio. If I were to use something else then Visual Studio, I'd use Code::Blocks. As far as C# development, I use Visual Studio or #Develop.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I think the educational release of Visual C++ requires you to purchase a full licence if you want to sell the software generated with it. That's the situation with the MSDN Academic Alliance at the University I attend. I used Dev C++ for the C++ portion of my schooling for that reason. MinGW is totally free of charge unless you want to make a donation to their page on SourceForge.net . I haven't used code::blocks so I can't comment on it but if it has a Linux version as well as Windows I may have to look into it.
Yeah I have a educational version, but I am wanting to perhaps make a bit of money, if I can create anything worth selling.

Thanks so much for the info, ill try that Code::Blocks

I forgot to say I was wanting somthing to run in Windows XP, but from what it looks these should do good.

Ill post again if I have any trouble with that code::bl;ocks since it appears a lot of you have experience with it.

Thanks again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement