Good and current book on C programming?

Started by
7 comments, last by GnuVince 18 years, 7 months ago
Hello everyone, I'm mainly a Ruby and Lisp guy, and lately I've been wanting to learn C. I know the basics, but I want to get more technical as to understand a little better what goes on under the hood. I have gotten my hands on a copy of "The C Programming Language" by K&R, but since it's a bit old, I am afraid that it may be lacking, especially when it comes to secure programming with C (properly handling memory and everything). So is there another book I should look for that would give me insights into what modern C (it feels weird to say "modern" and "C" next to one another when you know Lisp...) is like. Thanks for the input guys, Vincent.
Advertisement
To be honest, C doesn't change all that much anymore. Any text you find on ANSI/ISO standard C will probably be fine. Even a book a couple of years old will still be 99% relevent.

I learned on an old 1980's edition of "C Primer Plus" by The Waite Group. It's about a hundred editions later, but it's likely still a good tutorial.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Personally i think that K&R's book is one of the best for C, bible, best i've seen even next to newer ones (which are still pretty old) I don't think you need to worry to much if i'm correct the last C standard revision after C89 (1989) was C99. Not many compilers support C99 and most of those which do only implement some of it anyways. I think that book alone should be fine plus some online material will be enough. If you are really serious about it you could a purchase a copy of the latest ISO C standard aswell.

Coming from a ruby/lisp background i think you are going to be slightly disappointed [wink] i guesss you can at least appreciate C's simplicity.

[Edited by - snk_kid on September 13, 2005 4:05:18 AM]
Check out the book reviews at the Association of C & C++ Users: beginner's c.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by snk_kid
Personally i think that K&R's book is one of the best for C, bible, best i've seen even next to newer ones (which are still pretty old) I don't think you need to worry to much if i'm correct the last C standard revision after C89 (1989) was C99. Not many compilers support C99 and most of those which do only implement some of it anyways. I think that book alone should be fine plus some online material will be enough. If you are really serious about it you could a purchase a copy of latest the ISO C standard aswell.

Coming from a ruby/lisp background i think you are going to be slightly disappointed [wink] i guesss you can at least appreciate C's simplicity.

Oh there's no question about it. I think that what they did in the 70's was pretty amazing (although I hear Forth was even more, but that's another story): basically they removed all feature they did not consider absolutely necessary to make sure it was as simple and could be as optimized as possible.

Today, I wouldn't use C to create a user application myself, however I don't think there's anything bad about learning it right? Kind of like Latin, it almost useless now, but you understand current languages better.

In any case, I hope to have fun.
I learned C my first semester at DigiPen with that exact book by K&R. It was hella tough because Prof. Ghali was hella hard ;) But I will tell you this... that one semester with that book and that teacher was all it took for me to know C forwards and backwards 210%.

The book we used for our advanced C (really just more experience) course the following year used "Pointers on C", a book by Reek (author). It isn't quite a "Sams" series "hold-your-hand" type book, but it goes a lot further in explanation than K&R's book.

Goodluck!

-dbh
------------------------------------------------------------GDC/IGF 2006 Student Showcase Submission: Curator Defense
K&R is a great book and it's easy to carry around because it is light and compact.
Quote:Original post by dbh
The book we used for our advanced C (really just more experience) course the following year used "Pointers on C", a book by Reek (author). It isn't quite a "Sams" series "hold-your-hand" type book, but it goes a lot further in explanation than K&R's book.

That book comes "Highly Recommended" by the ACCU. They list it under advanced c as well.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Thanks a lot guys! Also, I just realized that I posted this topic in the wrong forum: it really belongs in "General Programming" (w3m confused me ;)). I don't know if maybe a moderator or administrator could move it there.

Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement