Getting Linux

Started by
23 comments, last by Eken 18 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by Halsafar
So when I am downloading and they provide a i386 and a x86 download which one should I choose?

Those should really be the same thing, unless you're talking about Fedora Core which looks like it has a 64-bit x86 download and a i386 download. If you are, you want the i386.
Advertisement
OKay, good.
Now, my next issue: Partitioning.

Can I resize the current partition without corrupting windows OS using the Linux parted?

Ubuntu should die along with it's evil community.

With that out of the way, you probably shouldn't use parted. When you first install a distro it gives you partitioning options. Some have more advanced features like Mandrake is better at resizing partitions. It's best to install linux after windows, and I think most distros can use free space on a windows partition but they can't resize or use NTFS partitions yet. If you can, the easiest thing to do could be to save your work, reformat the drive and use fdisk to create two or more partitions. Then install Windows on one, Linux on the other.

Someone will DEFINATLY correct me if I'm wrong... that's Linux users for you! :)
Well I want to avoid reformatting, I just did -- don't wanna do it again.

So I am free to install Linux in a regular FAT32 drive?
This comp in question is simply running WinME at the moment.

Now, what is so wrong with Unbuntu?
I think Fedora looks more for me, but its downloads are huge and slow so I'll deal with that one tomorrow.
Nothing is so wrong with Ubuntu. Seriously, look at the stats sometime: it's currently the most-downloaded Linux distro. I highly recommend it for Linux newbies -- that or Mandriva Linux, especially since you mentioned wanting to just resize your current partitioning without corrupting Windows, which Mandriva Linux does very neatly and automagically (even NTFS partitions :) ).
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
For a general linux installation, you need at least 3 partitions. One root partition ('/'), one boot partition ('/boot') and one swap partition. I'd recommend using the linux filesystem (ext3) for all linux partitions and adding an additional fat32 partition for files to be accessed by both linux and windows. I've never heard of someone sticking linux on a single, existing fat32 partition. It might be possible, but i'd say unadvisable. You're better off repartitioning or buying a new hard drive. It makes things much easier if you start off fresh. If you just repartitioned, it should be relatively easy to partition again and get back to where you are now on the windows side.
reiser(3/4) is better than ext3
Quote:Original post by eedok
reiser(3/4) is better than ext3

Not necessarily. As it turns out, ReiserFS has better performance than ext2 or ext3 only when the filesystem contains a large (thousands+) number of small (1KB-) files; ext3 outperforms it in other cases, and of course ext2 outperforms both because it is non-journaling.
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
Quote:Original post by TDragon
Gentoo Linux is the ultimate hardcore Linux guru's Linux. Don't download until you have a lot of experience using Linux. It's the distro I use.

I used to use that aswell. It was actually the first real distro I actually used. I found it very easy to use, installing was a bit of a pain though, but once its up its sweet as. I recommend downloading, and moving onto it after playing about in a few other distros if you can't find one to suit.

I used ReiserFS since most of my files were small, and setup a partition in FAT32 so I could still share between Windows.
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd
Quote:Gentoo Linux is the ultimate hardcore Linux guru's Linux. Don't download until you have a lot of experience using Linux. It's the distro I use.

Well, gentoo is not so hard actually if you read the manual very well.
And it is not so hard if you starts from stage 2.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement