Hmmm...2D or 3D?

Started by
2 comments, last by dbh 18 years, 7 months ago
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but since D3D/OGL seem to be doing all the hard 3D math for you. Why should I go for 2D? I mean, It's much more fun to do 3D because I feel I've achieved something. It doesn't seem to hard to load and render an .X file, and It's much easier to make 3D models as a programmer(). And much math can be learnt over the Internet/by my math teacher. So do I have to make a 2D game before I make a 3D game? Or can i just jump straight to 3D? Thanks for sorting things out!
Hope I was helpful. And thank you if you were!
Advertisement
You don't have to do anything in a particular order. The basic concepts apply to both 2D and 3D games. Where it gets more complicated is in the more in depth modules like physics, collision detection, animation, etc. It's a lot easier to handle a flip book type animation for a 2d sprite then it is to deal with a multi-boned skeleton.
Thanks for the help!
Hope I was helpful. And thank you if you were!
I would agree with Mike on most counts... but the DigiPen in me is telling me to advise you to at least make a "demo" game in 2D first.

Yes, you can learn most of the concepts in 3D-- but I it makes the more difficult concepts that Mike touches on MUCH easier if you don't have the extra dimension to worry about.

If you are really gung-ho about this and have lots of time on your hands, go pick up a good DirectX9 or 3D Programming book and get started coding up a basic engine. I started mine with a basic map-editor and then loading, displaying that map and getting basic camera movement.

From there, it all just depends.

Goodluck!
-dbh
------------------------------------------------------------GDC/IGF 2006 Student Showcase Submission: Curator Defense

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement