Tech question

Started by
7 comments, last by Landsknecht 18 years, 7 months ago
This is driving me nuts. My comp is doing a Sloooooow Freeze at random intervals. What I mean is, I can be browsing and the client window will freeze. The start button still works, I can close the window, open task manager, etc. Then over the course of a minute or so, everything else starts to freeze up and not respond until the only thing that I can do is reboot the system. This happens at random intervals, with random programs running. I've swapped out my RAM, no good. Checked all my temps, all good. Sometimes it goes a day or so between slow freezes. I'm starting to thing my HD has a blown sector somewhere in the OS. :( Any ideas folks? PS: I tried using Active SMART and it keeps telling me that I have an issue with "TA Increase Count", but I can't figure out what the heck that means... [Edited by - Landsknecht on September 12, 2005 4:10:40 PM]
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
Advertisement
Try doing a spyware/adware scan and a virus scan.

If you can hear weird little clicking/popping nosies when it starts to freeze, it's because of the harddrive. Trust me, I know that from personal experience...
Spy/Adware it aint. I've done a complete repartition and reinstall of a different version of windows just to make sure it wasn't something stealthy...

If it just crashed hard on me, I'd be happier, I swear. This slow freeze drives me nuts, for a few seconds it leaves me wondering if it's just another windows program locking up or not.
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
Check how dusty it is inside your case, and see if any of the large capacitors on your motherboard are bulging/leaking/corroding.
I've seen similar problems caused by each of the above problems (too much dust or bad capacitors).
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Dusted the case last night, and just checked the caps. Didn't see anything unusual and no bulges. Grrr.

Thanks for the tip though, hadn't thought about the caps.
Have you got any type of firewall running? If not I suggest getting one. I doubt that this has much to do with it, but everything is possible.
Quote:Original post by thannett
but everything is possible.

If you say so.
I have this problem often. My harddrive is a POS and the power connector is loose. I would check that your hard drive isn't shutting off for whatever reason it might be.
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
Well, not the hard drive either. Replaced it last night and still doing it... That leaves only the CPU and the motherboard itself. :(

This is getting stupid.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement