• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Marty666

boost installation

This topic is 4813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all. I'm having trouble installing boost. 1) I've got all files from boost_1_33_0 in a dir on my desktop. 2) I downloaded the bjam 3_1_11_1_ntx86 file, because i'm using winxp. 3) I opened a command promt and runned D:\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Bin\vcvars32.bat 4) I went to the boost folder where I also put the bjam file and ran it. It took a while and I got a lot of very quick messages. Then I found a folder called c:\boost. But I'd like to have it installed in my visual c++ folder. Is there a way of putting it all in the right folders and get it working? I also missed the "boostbuild" zip. What should i do with this one? And i think in the quick messages i saw some error reports. I must have done something wrong... Please help. Thanx, Marty

Advertisement
C:\Boost sounds like a pretty good place to keep your boost files. Since you're using Visual Studio, all you have to do is add an Include directory (Tools -> Options, Directories tab, IIRC) for "C:\Boost\include\boost-1_33", and then #include <boost/someheader.hpp> whenever you need Boost functionality. If you want to use the parts requiring libraries, also add "C:\Boost\lib\boost-1_33\boost" to your Library directories list.

I don't understand your question about "boostbuild.zip".

As to the error reports: you get them because your compiler is not completely ISO C++ compliant. You appear to be using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0, if I'm not mistaken, and you'll not be able to use all of the Boost functionality with it. I'd highly recommend upgrading to a newer edition (the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 is free, although an IDE is not included) or a different compiler system (anything built on GCC will be much more standards-compliant: I recommend Code::Blocks with MinGW32.

Cheers,
Twilight Dragon

Hi!

Thanx for the fast reply... I've been trying to set the right directories (since I think c:\boost\ is not the best place. But as I understand it now I can just copy/paste the boost folder to some place and set the dirs in MSVC6.0 (yes you were right :D)
Is the IDE just the editor? Can I keep using the one I got with msvc6.0? Because I'm used to that one. Is it a lot of trouble installing another with the new compiler?

Thanx again,
Marty

Yep, the Boost files can reside anywhere you like as long as you have the directories in MSVC.

IDE stands for Integrated Development Environment. In the programming business, it generally means "more tools you need for programming", or sometimes "the tools you need for programming besides the compiler". Visual Studio is an IDE, because it includes an editor for writing your code, a parser/viewer for categorizing your code pre-compile into classes and objects, a debugger, a resource editor, and finally the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler suite (a preprocessor, C compiler, C++ compiler, resource compiler, and linker). As a side note, help files are not necessarily considered part of an IDE, although help files on how to use the IDE are often, well, helpful. Help files such as those that show you how to program in C++ or how to develop with .NET or Win32 are not part of the IDE either.

The distinction between IDE and compiler is not very easy to see with Visual Studio products. It becomes much more readily apparent when you start using tools such as the GNU Compiler Collection or the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 -- all you get is a compiler, which you run from the command prompt or with Makefiles -- or get a good IDE such as Code::Blocks to help you out.

Hope that helps,
Twilight Dragon

EDIT in response to your edit:
You could keep using the MSVC6.0 IDE with the VC Toolkit 2003 compiler, but be warned that it would take a lot of tinkering and preferably advanced knowledge about how the compiler works.

It's not a lot of trouble in my opinion to install most of the IDEs floating around nowadays. The Code::Blocks IDE automatically detects whichever compiler you have installed (and you can download a version that comes with the MinGW32/GCC compiler, which I recommend); the Dev-C++ IDE also comes with MinGW32.

Hi there,

I installed Code::Blocks with MinGW32. Works fine, thanx. Now all I need is some help files, so I can place my cursor over something and get info on it... Can I use other helpfiles, because I don't think they're included.

Thanx,
Marty

edit:

Now when installing boost for Code::Block do I still need something like VCVARS32.BAT?

Thanx again.

[Edited by - Marty666 on September 12, 2005 5:08:49 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!