• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mengha

Matrix's and Spaces?

This topic is 4810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just a couple of questions I was wondering about. I often see people talking about different matrix's like the World Matrix, Projection Matrix etc. What is the difference between them? I also see people talking about 'spaces' like World Space, Texture Space etc. What are they? And why do you need to convert between them sometimes? Why does for example, multiplying an objects matrix with the world matrix change how it is displayed? What happens? Thanks alot.

Advertisement
My first suggestion is to get a good introductory book, such as '3D Math Primer'. That book in particular addresses most of the questions in your post in a methodical and easy-to-understand manner.
Quote:
I often see people talking about different matrix's like the World Matrix, Projection Matrix etc. What is the difference between them?
In most graphics systems, geometry goes through a 'pipeline'. Consider that most geometry starts out as a model (such as a character or weapon) that is usually centered at the origin and aligned with the world axes, or static geometry defined in world space. Ultimately, that geometry gets displayed on your screen in 2d. In between there are several stages, most of which involve transforming a vertex by a matrix. The OpenGL Red Book has a good summary of the pipeline (OpenGL-specific, of course, but still fairly general). A full description of the pipeline is a little much for a single post, but there are plenty of references.
Quote:
I also see people talking about 'spaces' like World Space, Texture Space etc. What are they? And why do you need to convert between them sometimes?
A 'space' is generally a coordinate space, usually in 2d or 3d. A coordinate system has an origin and a set of basis vectors that define it. As for the need to convert between them, the aforementioned pipeline is an example: to reach the screen, a vertex must be converted from model space, to world space, to camera space, to clip space, to screen space.

Again, any good introductory reference will address all these issues.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!