• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DaWookie

Best Beginner/Intermediate Book(s)

This topic is 4815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Heya, looking for a little information on what ppls think is the best books out there for a beginner or intermediate programmer in c/c++ looking to working into games. I am looking for a book that covers both theory and application. I have alot of the older ones the Black books, Guru, Art of ...., but want to know whats out there thats newer, revised and targeted at either W32 and/or cross platform dev. I assume tackling a 2d project/book is the best first step or primer, followed by a 3d book/project. I appreciate any and all opinions and info ahead of time. DaWookie

Advertisement
"Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" by Andre Lamothe will teach you everything you need to program 2D Windows games. If you know C++, you'll be all set. The 2nd Edition is updated, so don't be worried about using out-of-date stuff, though you would do fine with just the 1st edition.

The next volume, "Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus", also by Andre Lamothe, will show you how to make 3D games for Windows. If you've made it through the first volume, you'll be all set for the second volume, as it starts right where the first left off. You'll learn all the theory behind 3D, and it shows you how to build a 3D software renderer. This means, it takes a few functions that draw pixels, lines, and 2D images, and shows how to turn it into a 3D engine, making it fairly easy to program cross-platform as well.

His older book, "Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus" is for DOS, so I'd avoid that one.

-Gauvir_Mucca

If you've already something along the lines of pong or tetris Core Techniques & Algorithms in Game Programming by Daniel Sanchez-Crespo is a great overview of things you need to know about game dev. It's really easy to read, but be warned that it is more of a theory book - it's not about implementing the algorithms.

For instance, the section on outdoor 3D rendering has a discussion on things like heightmaps, quadtrees, ROAM, etc. which will give you a good idea of what to use for your project. It also gives you enough info to implement it yourself, but there's not that much actual code in the book.

It's also largely targeted at 3D games, but there is a useful section on 2D games.

Game Coding Complete, 2nd Ed. by Mike McShaffry is also a great book for an intermediate C++ game developer.

I second the Game Coding Complete nomination. It is a fantastic book.

I'd also like to add C++ for Game Programmers, if no one else has mentioned it. Another very, very good book.

Thanks again guys/gals for all the information so far. This whole question came up last wk when I hit one of the local bookstores and was overwhelmed with the number of titles available for programming specifically in the game field. This thread is going a long ways towards helping me narrow down my FIRST volumes to read. I have suffered through enough C/C++ primers that I really need to sink my teeth into a basic game project, or projects for awhile to keep my sanity...but at the same time mix in some more C++ to round out my general programming knowledge in the C/C++ realm. So, thanks for the suggests in that area ...not directly a game book.
The game coding book Game Coding Complete was one of the titles in my hands last wk, and looks like a good read. :) Way back in the day I read the Game Guru Dos ver, and managed to pickup alot information and confidence with that book, after a long layoff in programming ...this is the book perhaps freshest in my mind, so the Windows Game Programming Gurus sounds like a solid text to jump into W32 with also. :)
Please keep the suggestions coming :)

DaWookie

Quote:
Original post by DaWookie
This thread is going a long ways towards helping me narrow down my FIRST volumes to read.

In that case i'd recommend skipping Core Techniques & Algorithms in Game Programming. It's a great book, but not as a first book.

You might want to spend some time doing research at the book review section of gamedev. Lots of good info about books there.

Quote:
Original post by Gauvir_Mucca
"Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" by Andre Lamothe will teach you everything you need to program 2D Windows games. If you know C++, you'll be all set. The 2nd Edition is updated, so don't be worried about using out-of-date stuff, though you would do fine with just the 1st edition.

I would highly reccomend this book as well, but would also like to add to check the math when working throught his examples. a few typos here and there...

Thanks for the additional info guys. I actually dug around at half price books and came up with a copy of Tricks or Windows Game Programming (1st Ed.), and I am going to drop an order to Amazon for Game Coding Complete next week. At the moment I am going through the GameTutorials stuff i picked up a while back, and doing a quick refresh. Did I mention I hate pointers? :)

Any more good reads?

thanks again,

DaWookie

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!