sound

Started by
6 comments, last by hplus0603 18 years, 7 months ago
but does anyone know of research into the area of physically generated sound effects? like relying on material properties/colision information to determin the sound that results when two bodies collide? it seems like a very complex question, but just wondering if anyone has looked into it. Tim
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by timw
but does anyone know of research into the area of physically generated sound effects? like relying on material properties/colision information to determin the sound that results when two bodies collide? it seems like a very complex question, but just wondering if anyone has looked into it.

On a general application I'd have no idea of how you'd go about this, but if you were Ogre + ODE, then it'd work something like this:

You will have a collision listener class. In this class there will be a OnCollide function that is called when two entities collide. When this happen, you know the collider and the colidee (I think, and if not, you could add it in). Anyways, what you could do is assign an ID to each entity telling what material it is. Now in the collide function, you can simply use both ID's and then use a lookup table to see what type of resulting sound to play. Should be fairly straight forward if you use that system, I mean it makes sense right?

But like I said, if you aren't using that, then, you could use something along the same theory, but good luck [smile]
Quote:Original post by timw
but does anyone know of research into the area of physically generated sound effects? like relying on material properties/colision information to determin the sound that results when two bodies collide? it seems like a very complex question, but just wondering if anyone has looked into it.

Tim

I don't know anything about the topic myself, but I know that there is research into the generation of underwater sound in relation to sea ice. I have a friend who worked on the "acoustic emissions" of cracking ice. I think there is also some stuff out there on the sound produced with ice floe collide, however I don't know of anything in particular. I'm sure google with help if you search for "sea ice sound generation".

-Josh

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

Yes. I skimmed through a copy of a book in the library on real-time generation of sounds based on physical models, and since I like learning about that kind of thing, I ordered a copy from Amazon. It's on my "to be read properly" list though, so I can't remember any of the theory.

The book is Real Sound Synthesis for Interactive Applications by Perry Cook. You can check the table of contents at Amazon.
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
The book is Real Sound Synthesis for Interactive Applications by Perry Cook. You can check the table of contents at Amazon.

The book seems to cover waveguide synthesis (as one subject). Here's a link to a site which contains pretty much all you ever wanted to know about waveguides + more about audio dsp. For example a drum can be modelled by 2d mesh of waveguides...

Quote:Original post by Winograd
The book seems to cover waveguide synthesis (as one subject). Here's a link to a site which contains pretty much all you ever wanted to know about waveguides + more about audio dsp. For example a drum can be modelled by 2d mesh of waveguides...

Wow, thanks! If I ever get up to implementing that kind of stuff I'll have a look through some of the resources there.

Thanks for all the material. Zoid, I'm gonna give that book a shot. jjd, thats exactly the kind of stuff I'm after, but I was wondering if more general research has been done.

Tim
There's some interesting research in Berkeley that uses FEM to pre-calculate resonant modes in various meshes, and then stimulate a model of those meshes with the contacts you get.

There's a GDC PDF that talks about it some more.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement