return Type

Started by
24 comments, last by Anri 18 years, 6 months ago
ok sorry, but this is another lame beginner question. ok I have a class with a bunch of method functions. and with one function its either gonna return a character or a pointer to a node. how do I do that? node is a struct.
Advertisement
1) You cannot have an overloaded function that differs only in return type, because then when you called the function, it would be impossible for the compiler to tell which one you are actually calling (since it, basically, looks at function name and passed parameters to determine what function you called).

2) How does the caller know what it's going to receive?

If you want to return the char as a flag that the function was unsuccessful (I have no idea if this is indeed what you want to do), I would suggest returning NULL instead?

A little more information (like some code, or what this function actually does) would be helpful...

Oh, and there is absolutely no need to apologize. That's what this board is for. And, hey, we were all beginners once. [smile]
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
1. It's very, very bad idea, if you have to do this, this mean that you should review your function idea and create 2 different functions one that will return char other that will return pointer to node.

But if you have to, try someting like this:

char someFunction( node_s** retNode ){    /* do stuff */    *retNode = someNodePointer;    return someChar;}

Usage:
    node_s* myRetValForNode;    char retVal = someFunction( &myRetValForNode );

Hope it helps :D

[Edited]
If you dont understand exacly what is going on with all this ** & etc. just ask :)
[/Edited]
"The Gods Made Heavy Metal And They Saw That It Was Good They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell We Promised That We WouldWhen Losers Say Its Over With You Know That It's A Lie The Gods Made Heavy Metal And It's Never Gonna Die"THE GODS MADE HEAVY METAL/by ManOwaR
Estor's right on 2 counts. That is a way to do it. And it is a very bad idea.
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
I know this is a bad idea, but this is an assignment. ok teh function im talking about returns the first element of a List, it could be just a value say if the list=(ABC) it would return A, but the list could also be ((AB)AC)) in that case it it needs to returns (AB) which is a sub list.
why don't you post the code you have now so we can get a better idea of what you need.
Hint:
    char someFunction( node_s** retNode )    {        /* do stuff */        if( this_node_has_char )        {            someChar = listNode->someChar;            *retNode = NULL        }        else        {            someChar = 0;            *retNode = listNode->nextNode;        }        return someChar;    }// Usage    node_s* myRetValForNode;    char retVal = someFunction( &myRetValForNode );    if ( myRetValForNode == NULL )    {        // We have char here    }    else    {        // We have list in list    }

What you trie to do... kind of dictrionary? [smile]

Anyway for your own good, it would be better to write something more about your assignment. You see this sample answers your question, but what if you ask incorrect questions ??
And like SpacedOut wrote.... post some code to help as, help you [evil]
"The Gods Made Heavy Metal And They Saw That It Was Good They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell We Promised That We WouldWhen Losers Say Its Over With You Know That It's A Lie The Gods Made Heavy Metal And It's Never Gonna Die"THE GODS MADE HEAVY METAL/by ManOwaR
ok I think I wasnt clear before. Its a function thats either gonna return a character, or a pointer to a node, which is defined as follows:
struct node
{
char info;
struct node* next;
};

this problem is keeping me back, I cant go on until I get this figured out, and the assignment is due tommorow, if could just get this the rest wont be hard.

[Edited by - Ksingh30 on September 14, 2005 11:15:07 PM]
Quote:Original post by Ksingh30
ok I think I wasnt clear before. Its a function thats either gonna return a character, or a pointer to a node, which is defined as follows:
struct node
{
char info;
struct node* next;
};

this problem is keeping me back, I cant go on until I get this figured out, and the assignment is due tommorow, if could just get this the rest wont be hard.

Ooook... [looksaround]

node* someFunc( /* your params */ ){    static node   retVal;    // do your code here and fill  retVal with values you will need    if( this_node_has_char )    {        retVal.info = char_from_cur_node;        retVal.next = NULL;    }    else    {        retVal.info = 0;        retVal.next = next_node;    }    return &retVal;

In this case you can return pointer to retVal becase it's static, but be aware that if someone will do something like this:

node* n1 = someFunc();
node* n2 = someFunc();

then n1 and n2 will have exacly this same values.

You can try this:

node* someFunc( /* your params */ ){    static node*  retVal = new node;    // do your code here and fill  retVal with values you will need    if( this_node_has_char )    {        retVal->info = char_from_cur_node;        retVal->next = NULL;    }    else    {        retVal->info = 0;        retVal->next = next_node;    }    return retVal;

Bat you must remeber to delete returned value:

node* n1 = someFunc();
/* use n1 */
delete n1;

I assume you are expecting something like this:
node* someFunc( /* your params */ );
char* someFunc( /* your params */ );

but like ricekrispyw wrote

Quote:Original post by ricekrispyw
1) You cannot have an overloaded function that differs only in return type

So just return node struct, and use next field to check is it char or next node.
If next is != NULL then you have node, else info has important char.

Hope this helps [smile]
Im sorry not to help with anything .. but I just wanted to say that I never heard of nodes and Im interested in knowing what they are

can u direct me to any tutorials bout this?

thanks a lot

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement