• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
The White Devil

EXTREME NOOB!(Eh Starting Sugestions)

This topic is 4813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well i am trully amazed about games and how technology has changed since the Nintendo and Atari era , who would of thought it would be like this now ^_^ Anyways lets get to the point!(My English is not perfect and i will greatly like any help i resive from you all) I love games! I would like to make them! So i was going around some sites and this took my interest: VB 05 VB.Net Java Python Delphi C# Well i did find out a few things they have incomon...all are supposed to be easier to learn than C++ and save time on making something. Now for the stuff!:(i dont care about speed and performance) 1-Can you tell what are some of the pros and cons about them? 2-Which would help develop something faster? 3-Are there any Articles about them againts C++?(i found the java game dev one) 4-Where can i get some benchmarks and other info comparing it to the others? 5-Can you tell me about "really good and PRO" games made with using them? Thanx in advance!

Advertisement
Starting with any of those languages would be fine. At this stage you don't really need to be worrying about which is the fastest, or which is the one the pros use or anything like that. You need to learn the fundamentals of programming which can be done with pretty much any language. Personally I'd recomend looking at Python, How to Think Like a Computer Scientist should give you a nice introduction.

I'm sorry if I got you wrong original poster, but it sounds like you want a quick game making fix. If that's the case consider some things not on your list. Flash for example - has scripting elements and is well capable of producing fun little games relatively quickly. The Blitz series of products come with editors and tutorials when you buy the package.

If you are starting out then aiming for a "pro" level game in more complex languages not taliored specifically for games, thus not holding your hand as much, it's not really very realistic off the bat. The most challenging part of development is finishing... and if you set yourself too lofty goals you will not finish anything and skip between one unfinished product and another.

Casual, fun gaming is a great place to start. A simple concept done well will feel rewarding to you, and earn you respect from your peers for finishing something. If you choose a game / multimedia language like blitz, flash or gamemaker - it's editors will allow you to see things on screen very quickly, mess around with variables and scripts and allow you to get a feel about what programming is all about.

C# and Java are more forgiving then C and C++ - which require you to have all your wits about you with memory management etc. With C++ your eye has to be on detail as well as the big picture which is a pretty hard skill. The higher level lanaguages allow you to concentrate more on design and feel without worrying so much about if you've freed up a bit of memory or whatever.

So summary - set yourself decent targets, and choose the tools that are right for you and your game concept. Try and start something you know you can finish, so you can build yourself up a library of code that you can use in your next, more complex project.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!