• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PorkETINd00d

Hex Maps in games.

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently working on a hex, turn based strat game. I ended up using mask images for the pixel to hex conversion because it had less overhead. but now i am just suck on finding ranges, line of sight, and all that jazz. I have seen everything that is on google, all the stuff on amit's site etc.... But they do not seem to tell me what i need to know. also they use a completely different coordinate system that i am using. I hope i am not going to have to figure this out all by myself :( Chris

Advertisement
Maybe it is worth adapting your coordinate system to the ones used in the articles?

Edit: By doing this, it will probably be easier to adapt to techniques described in other articles aswell.

[Edited by - Enselic on September 14, 2005 12:42:26 AM]

I'm busy also coding a hexagon and turnbased wargame but i was about giving up till i find the algo's at amit site :)
The only problem i have is making gfx as in hextiles...

the problem with adapting theirs is. one site give a shortest path algo. it is in one cord system. The tuts on amits give distance + line of sight. they are in a differet cord system. So i cant get everything i need....... As far as making hextiles, use gimp. Make a mask like they do in this article on making iso tiles. http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/vertexnormal/tutorials/tile_tutorial.html
that should get you going making all the tiles you want. maybe your right though. I am going to see if i can adapt another coordinate system.

Chris

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!