• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Inuyashakagome16

Im new, and I need help

This topic is 4814 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi im new! Yeah. I want to start making video game. (what a suprise) I would like to make like a pacman or tetris clone to start. U know to get the hang of programming. The only programming I know is HTML. I would like help starting. like finding a compiler (free if possable) i think the programming laug i want to use to start is "C". Can anyone help? plz?

Advertisement
Assuming you are using a Windows operating system, if you want a free C or C++ compiler, Microsoft has released Visual C++ .NET 2003 Professional compiler for free as a download (though it lacks the IDE). You can also use MinGW, a gcc port for Windows. For free IDEs you can try Code::Blocks or DevCpp.

thx for the links for the compiler and IDE. I kinda need a link for how to make a game really, the code it self. how to start. what code. that kind. not to be a pain but i really dont want to have to buy a book for code right now.

You don't buy a book for the code, you buy it to learn programming.
A book is the best way to go, but if not, google for C programming tutorials (and use the link provided by benryves - there are no shortcuts :p

A quick google turns up this, looks like a very fine site.. Once you've worked through a few hours of basic stuff you'll easily find beginners game programming on google to. Best of luck.

Google is your best friend.
There are like a gazilion possibilities to start learning to program, search google for words or combination of words like C programming, tutorial etc etc.

I personally like http://www.ultimategameprogramming.com/ for code examples and http://www.cprogramming.com/ for tutorials.

Welcome to the community, i hope you have a nice stay here.

I strongy recomend to buy a book, its the best way to learn it without have to go to school for that.
You can also visit a library if you can't spend money to buy a book.
good luck!

Learn C++, it's not that much harder to learn than C and it's better for making video games. Just click on the beginners book section link on this website and buy a C++ book.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!