A Linux equivelent of StartUp and path

Started by
4 comments, last by yitzle 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I was wondering how I can get Linux to run specific programs (eg Gaim) when i log in. Additionally, I want to be able to run ~/bin/rar/unrar from any directory without having to type in the path. I can not put it in /bin as I do not have root access. Can I make my own 'local bin' or set the path somehow? Thanx!
Advertisement
Why do you not have root access, is this not your own installation?

ace
Quote:Original post by yitzle
Hi, I was wondering how I can get Linux to run specific programs (eg Gaim) when i log in. Additionally, I want to be able to run ~/bin/rar/unrar from any directory without having to type in the path. I can not put it in /bin as I do not have root access. Can I make my own 'local bin' or set the path somehow?
Thanx!

export PATH=$PATH:/home/yourname/bin/rar

Put that in ~/.bash_profile

If you leave Gaim in the system tray at exit, it should normally be reloaded (KDE does it this way, don't know about GNOME or other DE's)
"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
I've created a directory called root in my home directory and installed things there. Most packages that are compiled with the ./configure, make, make install can be installed under my personal root directory by doing ./configure --prefix=$HOME/root

To have the system find binaries, libraries, headers and manuals from my root dir, I've arranged for the following file to be run when any shell starts:
export PATH=$HOME/root/bin:$PATHexport LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/root/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATHexport PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/root/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATHexport CPATH=$HOME/root/include:$CPATHexport MANPATH=$HOME/root/man:$MANPATH

I run this file from /etc/profile on Debian. I don't know if doing this from .bash_profile is enough to make your desktop system (KDE or Gnome) aware of this and permitting, for example, running your personal binaries through the Alt+F2 shortcut.
Which distro is this?
The way I have my X programs running is by adding them to my .xinitrc, so it looks like this:
exec gaim &
exec xfce4
I'm talking about the terminals I have at school. They have Redhat 4 installed. Thanx for the replies. I'm not to experianced with Linux, so I'll try out the suggestions and play around a bit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement