• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ChristophR

OpenGL GLX extension

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I wrote an OpenGL application for Windows and I want to run it on Linux systems too. I don't want to use glut or other libraries (because I don't like too much dependencies and a few other reasons), but only Xlib. My code looks like that: display = XOpenDisplay(NULL); int dummy; if(!glXQueryExtension(dpy, &dummy, &dummy)){ cout << "Error: No glx extension" << endl; exit(1); } vi = glXChooseVisual(display, DefaultScreen(display), attributes); //... and so on... Everything worked well, but very slow. So I installed the official NVidia driver for my graphic board. I hoped that this will make the whole thing faster, but now it does not work anymore at all. The if-condition at the beginning of my code failes because I don't have a glx extension (I copied this part of the code from a tutorial). Also the "glgears" example which came with my Linux distribution produces this error. What can I do? Is it possible to download this extension? Thank you.

Advertisement
Extensions come with the video card drivers, so there's no way to install a specific extension or set of extensions. If the newest, official nVidia driver broke existing code (glgears), then I would suggest the follow:

1) Remove the driver (including everything pertaining to the original driver), redownload the driver, and reinstall the driver. It's possible something got hosed on one of these three steps. I know I had to wrestle with my version of Linux for two months removing all the little things in my system when I changed from a GeForce 2 to a Radeon 9800.

2) Attempt to find an older driver, and install that one instead.

3) Contact nVidia about the problem. They may have inadvertently (or advertently to get you to upgrade your video card...let's hope that's not it) broken the code by adding new functionality for newer graphics cards. They may even know about it, and how to fix it.

Other than that, I'll say this: If your code worked before a driver update, and it no longer does, it's the driver to blame, not your code.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!