• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Halsafar

Matrix Closure Property

This topic is 4808 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay my rather terribly written correspondance explains the Closure Property as: "The sum or product of 2 real numbers are real numbers themselves." Now, it is asking me to fill out Multiplication Matrix by Matrix Properties, for the Closure Property the answer is "Only on Square Matrices" -- What the heck? Can someone please elaborate on this?

Advertisement
Given two nxm matricies, A and B, the only way for you to be able to multiply them together is if n = m (and hence they are square). Next you need to show that A * B results in an nxn matrix as well, which it does by the definition of matrix multiplication.

If you have an n x m, and an m x p matrix, then the result will be an n x p matrix, which would not be in the set of matricies defined as n x m and m x p unless n = m = p, and hence it is not a closed set under matrix multiplication.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!