• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Wizard401

reducing files in .x format

This topic is 4808 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi im new to this forum, And I was wondering if anyone can help please. I have been asked to make some 3d models for someone who is develpoing a game, I have submitted a few 3ds model files. However, I have now been asked to if I can make them in .x format, I managed to find a plugin called panda. The files are way too large for the application he is writing, he wants them to be 100kb or less if possible. the files I have been making are over 1 meg in size. How can I reduce them to less that 100kb please.

Advertisement
I believe that Panda exports to an ASCII x file, you could load that into the DirectX Mesh Viewer and save out as a binary/binary compressed x file and it would be a lot smaller.

I use Quest3D, after Panda's animation exporter gave me some trouble. Anyway, just save it to compressed binary. I believe there is somewhere in Panda to check mark to do that. If not, just open the model in MeshView (came with the DirectX SDK) and go to File->Save and on the bottom left are check boxes, compressed binary should do the trick.

i used the binary compressed option, that was how i was able to get it down to 911 kb, i dont have directx sdk. didnt have any need for it. at least i didnt. maybe i should get it. thanks anyway. maybe the object is just way too big.

ok, I now have directx sdk, now what do i do. will it overwrite my directx that i already have or will it be a different program altogether. HEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLP.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!