• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JinJo

3d level editing program?

This topic is 4811 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was thinking of using GTKRadiant for making maps for my game (i was using bsp format for levels). I am using a graphics engine called IrrLicht that loads it for me but I could have them as 3ds max files or .x However there doesn't seem to be a quick and easy way to get entity info from the files. All I really want to do is have a program that can load in the quake map and allow me to add custom entities to it which would just be an AABB for position info etc and a name of the entity. My game would just get the position of the entity in the level and create the correct thing based on the entity name. I am not sure if this would be possible in the radiant editor but if you could recomend a different program that allows this sort of thing. it doesn't need to have tools for complex geometry creation as I could just do that in a different program and import it. thanks

Advertisement
Quake3 maps have an entity string which is (I think) the last lump. I dont see what would be so hard about that if you're already loading a bsp.

Quote:
Original post by krum
Note that if you use GTKRadiant to make maps for your game, you can not sell it.

That was definitely the case with Q3Radiant, I remember one of the guys at id saying that, but I'm not sure if it really still counts. GTKRadiant is a GNU program, and as such, I think, as long as you're not using its source, you can do with the output whatever you'd like. You can sell movies that have been made with Blender, art that's been made with Gimp, etc. The GNU license makes it so the author can't say "well you can't do this or this with the software", as far as I know... Just seems kinda sketchy to me, does anyone know for sure?

Quote:
Original post by Mercury
You can sell movies that have been made with Blender, art that's been made with Gimp, etc. The GNU license makes it so the author can't say "well you can't do this or this with the software", as far as I know... Just seems kinda sketchy to me, does anyone know for sure?

Here's the Blender guide to the GPL for artists. Basically, any art you create with Blender belongs to you and does not have to be put under the GPL.

Quote:
Original post by Mercury
Quote:
Original post by krum
Note that if you use GTKRadiant to make maps for your game, you can not sell it.

That was definitely the case with Q3Radiant, I remember one of the guys at id saying that, but I'm not sure if it really still counts. GTKRadiant is a GNU program, and as such, I think, as long as you're not using its source, you can do with the output whatever you'd like. You can sell movies that have been made with Blender, art that's been made with Gimp, etc. The GNU license makes it so the author can't say "well you can't do this or this with the software", as far as I know... Just seems kinda sketchy to me, does anyone know for sure?

I just downloaded the latest version, and there doesn't appear to be anything in it that indicates that GTKRadiant is GPL, and the license expressly forbids the use of the program for commercial purposes.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!