• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
romainechester

character models for use in Irrlicht

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone. I've been tinkering around with Irrlicht quite a bit and I've decided to make a game with it. I've learned that you can import MD2 models for use in the 3d engine. What I would like to ask is, is there a software where I can make my own models and animations? Ehem... free software? Can anyone please point me to a site where I can download? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Ok. Thanks guys. So Blender it is.

edit: Oh. So Blender is able to export MD2 models? By the way, I posted an older topic, much like this one so I was thinking that you could also answer this. How bout 3d levels? Can Worldcraft be able to do that? I'm gonna use the levels on Irrlicht and I believe Irrlicht can use .BSP's

Quote:
Original post by romainechester
Oh. So Blender is able to export MD2 models? By the way, I posted an older topic, much like this one so I was thinking that you could also answer this. How bout 3d levels? Can Worldcraft be able to do that? I'm gonna use the levels on Irrlicht and I believe Irrlicht can use .BSP's

Blender can export to a great many formats, but it needs plugins to do so. Vanilla Blender has surprisingly few export formats. You could use Worldcraft to make maps, yeah, but I would suggest you use GtkRadiant. As far as I know, Irrlicht only supports QuakeIII compiled maps. The .MAP format in GtkRadiant is slightly different than the map format for Worldcraft, so it'd probably hassle you when compiling maps.

Blender Import and Export Scripts

So do I need another program to compile the .map into a .bsp?

edit: I've looked at the link on the plugins. There's a bsp importer for blender but it doesn't have an exporter.

Quote:
Original post by romainechester
So do I need another program to compile the .map into a .bsp?

Yes. You need id's map compiler. This will only work with Radiant maps, but AFAIK it will make maps that Irrlicht can use.

So all I have to do is create my level on GtkRadiant then compile it. Hey! Thanks a lot!

Umm... I'm not that much familiar with online lingo. What is "AFAIK"?

edit:

Grr.. Why didn't I ask this first!?!

See.. I am trying to make a game but as of now, I don't know if the tools I'm going to be using are right for what I'm making. See.. I'm trying to make a 3rd person suspense a'la Silent Hill game. So here's kind of my dilemma. Did I even choose the right tools? I mean those are just tools right? Mostly just for the models and levels so I think I can make the game out of those. Right...?

[Edited by - romainechester on September 14, 2005 10:26:20 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!