the best scripting language is....

Started by
7 comments, last by intrest86 18 years, 7 months ago
i'm hoping to incorporate a scripting language into my projects to control the logic + content. What is the best scripting language in terms of ease of use, and performance? Currently im leaning towards lua, as its really easy to setup + use. Not sure about performance though. Muncher Note that i use C++.
Advertisement
Angelscript (angelcode.com) is really nice, very similar to C++. Don't really know about its performance, but the elegance of it makes it much better than lua :)
DLLs
Angelscript. And it's faster than LUA.
Quote:Original post by Deyja

any benchmarks? I'm really interested in that topic.
Quote:Original post by Deyja

That I did not know.

But yeah, my vote would have to go with AngelScript. I mean, there's some voodoo magic going on there or something. With my current project, others can write scripts that I basically add to my source tree when they are completed and tweaked. Very literally, the code itself generally doesn't need to be changed at all to run in my engine, just put into functions - which angelscript does support [it's just a personal style issue].

And if there's ever a problem, well, WitchLord is one of the most active developers that I've seen. And he actually listens to the suggestions of the users.

If you know C++ and can adapt tutorials, then AngelScript is really [to me at least] a no-brainer.

[edit]Did I mention that you don't need wrapper functions?[/edit]

--CJM
Beanshell. SSE2 optimalizations.

However from my experience with Java, if you have properly done programming language you have no need for scripting languages. Actually you can use Java as scripting (and possibly realtime recompiled and tightly connected with other parts of Java program) language as well. (It's sometimes safer to use programming language, than sripts, because compiler is able to tell you about the worst mistakes.)

If you need just to control content, scripting language might be overkill, simply roll out your own simple descriptor file, and create small program for easy GUI like edit.

Game logic is best done hardwired, possibly into DLL, so it would need recompilation. It's safer against last minute changes that repairs 2 things and break 10.
I've heard LUA is faster than Python, but I thought I'd mention how easy Python is to use in C++ if you use boost::python. It allows you to access your C++ functions and classes from Python, which is a very nice feature.
Well, as long as we are all just throwing out opinions:

The best scripting language is any scripting language. Use .Net and you can have scripts written in any .Net language. That way your scripters can use C, C++, C#, VB.Net, Python, PHP, JScript, ADA, BF, Caml, Cobol, Eiffel, Fortran, Haskell, Java, LISP, LUA, Perl, Pascal, Ruby, Cheme, Smalltalk, and a host of even more obscure languages.

All of the languages get the benifits of running with .Net, like the security model, framework, and run-time compilation into native code. And it's cross platform these days too. Seems like a win-win to me.
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement