• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
w_poons

shadow volume clipping

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i`m trying to sort out which objects can't cast a shadow visible in the scene. only objects which are in the convex hull of the light and the view frustum are possible shadow casters. the concept is clear to me, but i have some implementation problems. o) how can i get the corners of the far clipping plane? (i'm using an infinite projection matrix). i know how to get the points of the near clipping plane. just project these with the projection matrix? o) how can i build the convex hull in a fast way? because there are only 9 points and the spatial relationsship between some points are known i thought there could be a fast way of determining the convex hull. thanks for your help, poons

Advertisement
i thought over it and i think i came up with a solution for problem number 2. because the frustum is itself convex i only have to add the light position. if the light pos. is inside the frustum then the convex hull is the frustum. if the light is outside remove all planes (triangles) that are visible to the light and then add a triangle fan from the light pos. to the open edges.

but i have still problems to get the corner points of the frustum. anybody some idea?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!