Maybe it's time to move to Linux

Started by
88 comments, last by paulecoyote 18 years, 6 months ago
I've been thinking of moving to Linux, from windows, for a while now.Infact I was thinking of a reason NOT to move to Linux but I can't find many reasons not to.Why I want to move you ask? This is why: 1. It's cheaper to develop games under linux because alot of the needed software is cheaper than windows. Maya may be expensive but there's a linux version which is good enough for me. 2. Linux's drivers are available(graphics cards, sound cards, etc). 3. More people are moving to Linux and other OSs. The only set back to moving to Linux is that right now I don't think there are alot of people using Linux that would buy my game.Anyway I'm an Indie so selling a couple of 1,000s or 10,000s is good for me. I welcome your insight in this topic. I don't hate windows the problem is Micro$oft. Please don't digress from this topic, I see this alot in other forum topics where the peron who posted the topic asked about Programming and at the end people are discussing about Oranges! Thanx [Edited by - miminawewe on September 14, 2005 5:51:41 AM]
Advertisement
1. It's cheaper to develop games under linux because alot of the needed software is cheaper than windows. Maya may be expensive but there's a linux version which is good enough for me.

Most of this software has Windows versions available as well. Cygwin with gcc, Blender etc.

2. Linux's drivers are available(graphics cards, sound cards, etc).

Sure, but they are still relatively crappy.

3. No worries of being a slave.That's how I feel when I'm using micro$oft's products. Not only do I feel insecure but also a piece of trash that can be ignored and left to suffer-Haaahaa.

And you didn't want a flame war?

4. More people are moving to Linux and other OSs.

But it is still only a tiny amount.

I greatly prefer Linux over Windows though ;)
However Linux is far from as 'user-friendly' as Windows is and you'll need some Linux knowledge to really feel at home in your new OS.
why not use both? I spoke to an experienced programmer once and she hated microsoft/windows but she recommended I learn to program on both windows and linux because if you get a problem on either you have knowledge to fix it. Plus you'll have a wider range of customers.
nice advice namingway
Quote:
2. Linux's drivers are available(graphics cards, sound cards, etc).

Last I checked, they had drivers available for Windows too. [lol]
Anyway, ATI's Linux drivers in particular are downright horrible. If you don't mind cutting out half of your player base because of that, go ahead. (Of course, you're already cutting out the 90+% who use Windows)

Also, this is just a hunch, but Linux-users as a whole might be less willing to pay for your game than Windows-users are. (A lot of them might have been attracted simply by the whole free software/open source thing, and your game won't be either)

Quote:
at the end people are discussing about Oranges!

You have a problme with oranges? They're good for you, you know [wink]

Personally, I like working in Linux, but I doubt I'm going to use it as my gaming platform any time soon.
I view the Windows / Linux debate like this. Have you ever wondered why car companies make and sell SUVs? It’s well known that they are less safe, and consume more petrol, and so cost more to run?

I really believe that most Engineers want to develop technologies that are more efficient, and smarter, safer, better for the environment. In sharp contrast to this people want SUV’s - and advertising companies are all too happy to deliver.

You’re a little like the Engineer, in face you are, being a software developer. So while you may see benefits in Linux, I’m afraid that the vast majority of the consumer market does not.

Personally I’d like it to be different. But why do people buy SUVs? No one really knows it’s a complete mystery, as is peoples obsession with Windows.

If you want an alternative why not develop for MAC OS? (I think more people use that then Linux. )
nice insight bobason456. I see.
Quote:Original post by bobason456
I view the Windows / Linux debate like this. Have you ever wondered why car companies make and sell SUVs? It’s well known that they are less safe, and consume more petrol, and so cost more to run?

Personally I’d like it to be different. But why do people buy SUVs? No one really knows it’s a complete mystery, as is peoples obsession with Windows.

If you want an alternative why not develop for MAC OS? (I think more people use that then Linux. )

Hmm.. SUV's less safe? well for other people yeah, but not for the people who drive them.. and why do people buy SUV's? because they can be so beautifull and ofcourse that's just taste.. And my taste is SUV (drive a jeep cherokee myself, and wouldn't want to trade that one for volkswagen golf or any 'popular' regular car, had an accident where some bastard drove through red and I was sure as hell glad that I was driving my SUV because when I was driving the car that I had before that one (Nissan Sunny) I would have been dead so don't talk to me about an SUV being unsafe)..

The 'obsession' with windows as you call it is not a mystery.. Windows is just much easier to use for a regular customer much more software can be just bought in store without having to deep search the internet for it.. It's still much better supported by hardware/software manufacturers.. And most people who buy a computer get it pre-installed..

Because we are programmers and think that everybody is just like us and therefore something like poeple not going for linux would be a mystery is just plain wrong thinking.. I myself have windows and linux (and way back had Mac-OS) but my preference is still windows as it is still easier to install programs and I can find the programs that I use for windows but not for linux (that will change ofcourse in years to come)..

If you want to make money of your games, then stick with windows (or at least try to find/create an engine that would also be possible to port to linux/whatever system)..

In my experience it's easier to find windows software/tools for gamecreation then it's for linux..
Learn to develop portable games! It will make you a more complete programmer and it's interesting as well. If you have even a tiny interest in operating systems you will be able to learn a whole lot by dual booting on your computer.
I'm willing to bet that the majority of people who go through the headache of playing games on Linux are those who are either partially or heavily invested in the open source movement. As such, I'm fairly positive that no one would buy a Linux indie game... Anything short of World of Warcraft won't have much of a market. Now, if you're doing this for fun and don't intent to make any profit, then by all means :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement