Keyboards?

Started by
5 comments, last by krum 18 years, 7 months ago
This question might seem kinda weird but it is something that has been bugging me for a long time. So here's my question: What do Chinese and Japanese keyboards look like and how do they type? Actually, not just Chinese and Japanese...more like all keyboards that don't use letters like ours. Also, what does code (like C/C++) look like in japan? I am so very puzzled...
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
Advertisement
Well, I don't know about Japanese, but this is what a Hebrew keyboard looks like (sorry for the crappy pic). Each key has a Hebrew letter painted on it, next to the standard latin one. In the picture above, the Hebrew letters are in yellow.
C++ code looks just the same, and comments are written in English. However, I did see an interesting case of Spanish variable names used in this post.
Jooleem. Get addicted.
It looks a bit like this. Don't know if it's Chinese or Japanese or Korean or even Goa'uld.

PS: Check this article for Bjarne Stroustrup's ideas, it is most interesting.
well, first of all, the code shouldn't look any different. ANSI says C++ is coded the same way regardless, even if the function calls are in a different language.

secondly: google is your ally. just google "chinese keyboard" and flip over to images for a visual. Most chinese keyboard systems use a "key-chaining"-like feature, where you press a specific order of keys to generate a word (hey, a lot like english words!) but chinese words tend to be a lot shorter, averaging just over two key-presses per word.

sadly, computers just weren't designed with asianic languages in mind, and really, asianic languages weren't designed with computers of any kind in mind. latin languages, meaning can be derived from knowing any such bases and grammar, written chinese, you have to know the symbol. any fellow linguists feel free to correct me there, but the fact remains a 100-key-keyboard is probably a lot more attractive than a 5,000 key one.
Quote:Original post by MrEvil
PS: Check this article for Bjarne Stroustrup's ideas, it is most interesting.

That... That's wicked!

But yeah - I sometimes wondered, too, why are (most of) the programming languages "in English" - that is - they are using English-like keywords and stuff... I mean - yes - English is probably the most common language in computer industry, but hey, it's just a few keywords! Why isn't there a (commonly used) language based on some other grammar structure - like some where cases (or other forms of morphing the keywords/identifiers) would be used - it could disambiguate lot's of things. Especially where you have to stare at the code for a few minutes until you can decipher wheter it's a pointer to a const Foo or a const pointer or maybe const pointer to const...

Anyways... just a thought.

Oxyd
Whoa!!! That's pretty cool! Thanks.
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
Quote:Original post by ciroknight
and really, asianic languages weren't designed with computers of any kind in mind.

I'm not sure that any natural spoken languages have been designed with computers in mind. ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement