Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EvilCrap

[web] Unspecified error, 50% of time..

This topic is 4808 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

I'm getting this unspecified error, which seems to happen maybe 40% or 50% of the time when Im fetching my pages from the server, but this doesnt seem to happen when I'm fetching them from file. Ive tracked down the error, it happens just after an onload event, and just before a timer event, set in the onload event. The error occurs during the browser's do-events time I beleive, but I dont think I've corrupted any memory or used up the stack space. And again, this happens maybe 50% of the time, so I can have errorless streaks, or I can have streaks of errors! My webpage only works in IE because I use screenTop/left property. I've written some code that concerns me, and could possibly be the source of the problem: ... window.pssc_getX=function(){ return x;} win.open( "pssc.html", winid, attributes ); ... then in pssc.html.onload: if( window.opener.pssc_getX != undefined ) x = window.opener.pssc_getX(); moveTo( x, y); setTimeout( finishLoad, 200 ); //an empty function ... end of function, error happens between here and finishLoad() Does anyone have experience with getting unspecified errors when using the window and window.opener like this? I've tried using MS Script debugger, which was really disfucntional, but breaks on a line that is normally not executed when the error occurs. Is what I'm doing with window/opener a hack, or is it desinged to be used this way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
Ok, the problem was not with the window/opener code, that is just fine. The problem is that a few lines earlier, I load and make use of an xml document. I guess that sometimes the document doesnt load properly or in time, and then an error occurs a short time later, after the pssc.html onload is called. When I remove the XML code, or specifically, when i stop setting the window title to a value from the xml file, the unspecified error seems to go away.
It could also make sense that it works from file, as disk access is a lot quicker than the network. I've adjusted my xml checking code, and everything is working again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!