• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Silex

anyone know what SDL_GL_GetProcAddress does?

This topic is 4812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to get rid of SDL in my program, does anyone know what SDL_GL_GetProcAddress does under the hood? I couldn't find the function in the SDL source. I need to maintain its cross-platform aspect. Thanks

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Silex
I'm trying to get rid of SDL in my program, does anyone know what SDL_GL_GetProcAddress does under the hood? I couldn't find the function in the SDL source. I need to maintain its cross-platform aspect.

Thanks

why get rid of SDL.

its your one stop shop for cross platform bliss...

the SDL source is available for download for www.libsdl.org, if you *really* need to know what it does "under the hood"

How do you test which platform you're on, though? I should know this but I've always relied on libraries for cross-platform support.

rip-off: Because it doesn't have any decent GUI support.

Quote:
Original post by Silex
How do you test which platform you're on, though? I should know this but I've always relied on libraries for cross-platform support.

#ifdef WIN32 is one way to see if you are on the Windows platform. There exist equivelents for other OSs as well. Take a look at the SDL source and you will find a lot of those in the SDL_OpenGL.h file.

Quote:
rip-off: Because it doesn't have any decent GUI support.

/Shameless plug
Not for long [wink] Probally won't be done for a bit, but as you can see, it's not that hard to implement your own, if desired. Hopefully though, when I get this done, it'd be a good solution all around.

Where is WIN32 defined, though?

OT:
I like your project, SDL is definitely in need of a good GUI library. I've been looking at quite a few GUI solutions recently, and here are some things to keep in mind:

-make it light, and make it fast. a fat slow gui is useless to me and most people.
-have tree-view widgets, a lot of gui's out there don't
-i should be able to get a simple widget on screen in a few lines of code
-shouldn't require weeks to understand (i'm looking at YOU, wxWidgets)

As it stands the best option I could find out there is FLTK, but it doesn't do a lot of the other handy stuff SDL does, which is a shame.

Quote:
Original post by Silex
Where is WIN32 defined, though?

It's automatically defined by your compiler preprocessor if you use an IDE to create a project. If you have Visual Studio, go to Project->Properties->C\C++->Preprocessor and you will see the Preprocessor Definitions box.

Thanks for the comments on the GUI lib, that is definitly what I am after!

I am also working on a GUI, it is supposed to be graphic API independent, basically you have a core which takes care of non graphic processes, and interfaces which do the drawing, interfaces are loaded at runtime, so if you use the SDL interface, you dont depend on the OpenGL interface or DirectX interface.

I just finished adding freetype support to the OpenGL interface (need to move the functionality to the other two).

Anyway, here is an old demo for Windows, and here is an also old snapshot of the source, comments and questions are welcome [smile].

Edit: [lol] Drew, by the look of your screenshots, we seem to be on the same track, Cheers!.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!