My farewell

Started by
22 comments, last by Oluseyi 18 years, 7 months ago
It's been five years of programming games, and only coming out with a few products. Since I'm dedicated in applications programming in my computer science major, persuing game programming is slowly going down the drain. I did my share in Pong, Tetris, etc. and already find it too difficult to carry on. Who knows, maybe I'll check out mobile & handheld gaming after I do my current studies in apps. I find this more vital right now. Anyway, thanks for all the support over the last five years. I've gone through many struggles with games, and I just have more respect for those making huge 3d virtual worlds. It's so amazing, I wonder how I can compete, or if I should. If I may, I'd like to leave my opinion about the board. I never had so much frustration over the people who tried help making games with me. Hype is the number one thing I observed on this board. For example, someone here was helping me with a sprite character. He only finished half of it in a day or so, and then I never heard from him again (Hype). Designers are frequently disapearing after a day or so (Hype). There's also another person I knew who wanted to change his screenname so people will like him better (Board Addiction). His entire life lives on here. The people are pretty strange here. It taught me a good lesson though: work with people face to face. I understand that gamedev.net is a hobbyist site these days, but that's all I see it as. I was still here, but my postings have become less frequent. I asked a good friend of mine about his view on gamedev. Due to him being a well known author, I wish to keep his name annonymous. You may find it offensive, but I'm glad to say other people see it than just me. "The message boards are a complete waste of time. I don't even visit my own forum any more, because it's either 1) Whining, or 2) Complaining. I just don't have time to read the forum posts, and have found that 1 out of 100 is worth my time. Web forums are interesting if you want to be part of a community, and get to know people, but they aren't useful at all for any real information. I don't even like the stuff on gamedev.net, which is supposedly a "pro" site. (I disagree, I think gamedev is filled with elitist jerks)." May I add, the rating system was completely annoying, and not appropriate for this kind of study. I have found that game programming is nothing but a science. This site reminded me of reputation statuses when I was in junior high / high school. I don't know who this message is going out to, but it's mostly the moderators. These are my thoughts that I observed over the years. Please respect this, although I know it's hard for this site to take constructive critism. Someone is bound to yell, "off with his head!" It's simply an opinion after 5 years. Anyway, thanks for the guidance over the years. I'm going to move on and start learning what is going to get me a job soon. Not what "could" get me a wishful-thinking job, at least at this point in time. Good luck with your future games! dxfoo
Advertisement
Sucks to see anyone leave, really. Sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience. :/
isnt this like the third time youve left?
Sorry you feel that way...

Over the past 2 years I've only been helped by almost everyone.

Sure there are jerks on here, but where aren't there jerks?

Sorry to see you leave, but I think that this board is extremely helpful.
Quote:Original post by TommySauder
Sorry you feel that way...

Over the past 2 years I've only been helped by almost everyone.

Sure there are jerks on here, but where aren't there jerks?

Sorry to see you leave, but I think that this board is extremely helpful.

I agree. Over the years I've got help with almost everything I've posted. I love this board.
-Dan- Can't never could do anything | DansKingdom.com | Dynamic Particle System Framework for XNA
To me, this post sounds very immature. Some people tried to ruin your time here, so you let them? Sorry to tell you, but there will be people messing with you all throughout your life. If you can't learn to tune them out, then it isn't going to be a fun experience. In my opinion, on these boards, for every troll who whines and complains there is at least one person willing to earnestly offer their help towards your problem. You didn't like the rating system? Why participate in it then? Why even pay any attention to it? It is far from a necessary aspect of this site.

You say hype is one of your biggest problems with this board. Well, when you recruit for your team, how about some stricter criteria? Sounds like your problems could have been solved by simply asking the person's AGE. Or, how do you know the person wasn't immediately turned off by your lack of organization or direction as a team leader? You're assuming people will dedicate their time, and effort (which they value dearly) just to help you out. This isn't how the world works.

You got caught up in the hype too. Game development is hyped, you dreamed of doing it (what'd you call it? a "wishful thinking" job): so why didn't you take the time to view it more realistically? Game development is a very specialized and very advanced field of computer programming. Are there any specialized, and advanced fields you can just jump into and be productive in five years? Go try being a radiologist. How about an astronaut?

I can understand your discouragement from not being able to progress in game development, and I can understand getting discouraged from trolls that are only out to ruin your day, but why are you letting it stop you? Is anything that is worthwhile or satisfying easy?

I know it sounds harsh, but this is not meant to flame, and I really hope you dont take it as more discouragement. I hope you can take some time for some deeper thought.

"Every man thinks he's as good as anyone, and at least better then most"
I’m going to have disagreed with the poster.

While lately my responses have seemed a little lack luster, ParagramShift (sp?) and a few others have helped me tremendously.

A message board is just like anything else, you have to know how to use it for it to be helpful. On any message board, you can discuss, research, flame, debate, ask for help, or play Outwar. Of the aforementioned, only a few are worth the time it takes to do them.

Message boards, especially this one, are best used to solve a problem that you couldn’t otherwise, and that you have trouble looking up. I think the problem most people fall into is treating them like aim / google.

As for the prospect of game programming, I think the same thing can be said. It is not an easy field – in fact, it is a shitty field. The competition is cut throat, there is very little money and your making a product no one needs and can probably find elsewhere for free. I don’t blame you for leaving.
I think there's to much blood in my caffeine system.
Quote:Original post by deadlydog
I agree. Over the years I've got help with almost everything I've posted. I love this board.

Yup, this board has made me what I am today - an antisocial agoraphobiac with chronic forum addiction.

But seriously,
a - This does not belong in For Beginners
b - You haven't been around long enough for people to get to know you propperly or you to get to know GDNet.
c - We have read this all too many times before.

Good bye, your holier-than-thou attitude won't be missed.
Quote:
isnt this like the third time youve left?

I thought I remembered this one

Quote:So anyway, don't take it personally. It's just not a site that is suit for those aiming to be professionals ... Maybe kids are just not capable of discussing matters that have some debate in it ... I don't think they had much experience in it, and that's why I must go.
Like all here I am sorry to see anyone leave believing that they have got nothing from this site.

For sure some people hinder more than help but some, Fruny (especially), Superpigs articles (pity ther aren't anymore), Zahlman (caustic but knows his sh1t)...well all the really experienced developers/analysts/experts are fantastic.

I've been programming for quite a while before I started using C++ (oop), design stuff and this place is imense at getting to the root of a problem/issue. If you need guidence these are the guy's to ask.

And it's not just all game releated, the General Programming forum covers everything you could wish to ask, AND there are general design forums. Not only that but if you need to find some sprites...hey the graphic forum rocks, sound...take a look at the music/sound forum.

This place is the most friendly website I've seen out there, encompassing every aspect of development.

Sorry to see you go though, please come back and visit.

EDIT: Ahhh....I Forgot Drew Benton in my portrait of the good,the bad and the ugly!!! Sorry Drew...an amazing help.

[Edited by - garyfletcher on September 14, 2005 4:07:21 PM]
Gary.Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement