• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Slug

Luminosity, how to?

This topic is 4809 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, what the trick to control the luminosity of a scene? I mean, in my engine, not all the object are not all lighting the same way, and some are not. So, did the're is a gl command or something like that? and writing to the pixel directly would surely kill the performance... How should i do?

Advertisement
im not to sure what youre doing but
if youre using lighting there is a global_ambient variable that u can see if my memory is correct the defualt value is 0.1

The problem is that i'm not always using lighting in my game. I use it for some models and not for some other one...

Guest Anonymous Poster
This is an easy issue to have problems with. You need to make a design decision and stick to it. Either dedicate yourself to OpenGL's lighting for all of your models, with the ability to enhance/improve the lighting through vertex and pixel shaders. Difficult method but usually can yield best results.

Or, you can decide to fake it all. This depends on certain factors, like if you want to use bump/normal mapping, true per-pixel lighting, or materials. But, it can be easy to implement and faster on older machines, and still look not too bad. I had thought about this approach for my engine, which had currently used only the fixed-function pipeline. Using some projective texture tricks with 2D attenuation maps, you can make nice fake "per-pixel" lights, throw in shadow mapping, and some simple phong shading for model's vertex coloring, and you have your fake global illumination system.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!