Problems with gluPerspective()

Started by
8 comments, last by Beco 18 years, 7 months ago
Anytime I try to use gluPerspective() in a function where I pass the function arguments into zNear and zFar I get the error “syntax error : ';'” Is this normal for this function and am I supposed to use constants all of the time to get it to work? If so, is there any way around it?
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
Advertisement
Post some code please.
Quote:Original post by ManaStone
Anytime I try to use gluPerspective() in a function where I pass the function arguments into zNear and zFar I get the error “syntax error : ';'” Is this normal for this function and am I supposed to use constants all of the time to get it to work? If so, is there any way around it?
Syntax error ';'? Did you put a ';' at the end of a define?

like: #define zFar 1000;

You don't need to use constants with it. Since when could a function only take constants?

void gl_video::SetPerspective(float fFOV = 45.0f, float fApsect = 1.33, float fNear = 0.1f, float fFar = 500.0f){    glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);	glLoadIdentity();    gluPerspective(fFOV, fApsect, fNear, fFar);    glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);    glLoadIdentity();    return;}

void cGamePerspective::Set3DPerspective(GLint fov,GLfloat ratio,GLdouble near,GLdouble far){	glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);//	gluPerspective(fov,ratio,near,far); does not work	gluPerspective(fov,ratio,1,200); //works 	glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);}
Notice that I pass floats, and you pass doubles.
void cGamePerspective::Set3DPerspective(float fov=45,float ratio=1.33,float near=.1,float far=500.0){	glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);	gluPerspective(fov,ratio,near,far);//does not work//	gluPerspective(fov,ratio,1,200); //works 	glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);}

Still doesn't work. It still doesn't even work if I try to do it indirectly either. If I fill in the gluperspective parameters with member variables it will work, but then I get syntax errors when I try to make a function that assigns values to the member variables.
A while ago when I was writing a crappy camera class, if I used member variables named near and far (maybe m_Near and m_Far, I don't remember), visual studio would freak out. It seemed to consider them reserved words for some reason. I changed the variable names to something else and it worked perfectly. I don't see anything from that code snippet that would be wrong, so maybe try changing the variable names? It's a long shot, but maybe that's the problem.
Then why don't you post the actual error?
Quote:Original post by Kalidor
A while ago when I was writing a crappy camera class, if I used member variables named near and far (maybe m_Near and m_Far, I don't remember), visual studio would freak out. It seemed to consider them reserved words for some reason. I changed the variable names to something else and it worked perfectly. I don't see anything from that code snippet that would be wrong, so maybe try changing the variable names? It's a long shot, but maybe that's the problem.

Changing the names worked. Thanks.
Are you using Visual C++?

In VC++ 6.0 the types NEAR and FAR are defined in WINDEF.H. It could be the reason of the error.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement