• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Optimus Prime

Choosing a career path. Please help.

This topic is 4810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I've rewritten this post like 43 times because I can't seem to get it right. I'm very confused about what I want, to say the least. I'll keep it short. I'm having difficulty deciding whether to keep my major in Marketing, or to switch my major to Computer Science. Now, I'm sure you're saying (as most people have told me), "Marketing or Computer Science? Those two fields are light years apart. That decision should be easy!" Well, I'm not a cut and dry kind of person. I have a deep interest in artificial intelligence and game programming (6 years c++ experience). I also have a deep interest in entrepreneurship, business strategy, and finance. I also love to draw, paint, and read eastern philosophy books. I don't think my personality and interests fall into one category. I'm kind of all over the place. The problem is, if I get a job in finance or marketing, I'm going to hate myself for not pursuing my passion of AI programming. However, I don't want to get stuck in an AI programming position, where I'm surrounded by un-cultured programmers who only think about programming, and live rather boring lives. (not boring to them, of course. But possibly boring by my standards. I'd probably be boring to them as well :/) I know programmers arn't like this. And it's very unfair of me to lump all programmers into this category. I could say eaqually mean things about the people who work in finance and marketing. But on a friday night, I don't want to think about programming OR business. I just want to relax and talk about worldy topics. Most people I see in the computer science department KNOW what they want to do. And I regularly see them chatting away about programming all over campus. People in the finance and marketing department, have just a general idea about what they want. And they tend to not talk about business outside of class. (which is a good thing, in my book.) I'm not trying to offend anyone here. But I'm having a serious internal conflict of interest. There is a chance that I could find myself in a great office surrounded by bright and social programmers who are fun to be around. But I have this worst-case image in my mind that I'm going to be surrounded by introverts. I'll love working with AI, but I'll hate working with the people around me, and thus hate my job. So please, tell me I'm wrong. I'm just looking for some reassurance that I'm going to enjoy my job. If you're a professional programmer in an office setting, how do you view your co-workers? How do you view the marketing people? You could say I'm a Geek in the closet. That's probably half my problem. I havn't come to terms with my geeky-ness yet. The side of me that loves philosophy, fasion, art, and business is saying "No!!! Resist the force!" I'm sure some of you out there have been in the same position. Right? Thanks.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Go to school for computer science and minor in marketing or digital media. Get a job that will pay for you to go to night school to pursue a masters in business (MBA). You'll get your chance to program, yet you'll be able to move up the hierarchy of management. In addition, if you so decide to chase your entrepreneurship abilities, you will have the background to start your own business.

Taking this path will give you opportunity to do the programming you love while you still love it. You will also be acquiring the technical experience that is necessary to manage any group in a technical field. As you climb the business you enter, naturally your job should become less technical and more managerial. Going into marketing from computer science/business is very possible and I know many who have done exactly that 8-12 years down the line.

Clearly this in only my opinion on your situation; the final decision is yours to make.

Quote:
Original post by Optimus Prime
I know programmers arn't like this. And it's very unfair of me to lump all programmers into this category. I could say eaqually mean things about the people who work in finance and marketing. But on a friday night, I don't want to think about programming OR business. I just want to relax and talk about worldy topics. Most people I see in the computer science department KNOW what they want to do. And I regularly see them chatting away about programming all over campus. People in the finance and marketing department, have just a general idea about what they want. And they tend to not talk about business outside of class. (which is a good thing, in my book.)

The World Of Business actually does a good job of stripping out the boring, insufferable über-nerds; in my experience, those people have trouble adapting to team-oriented development and get routed away from other programmers. At the place where I work, I count about 2 such people among the 30 or so programmers with whom I interact on a regular basis. Also, if you're always hanging out with people from work on a Friday night, you need to get more acquaintances. [wink]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!