• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SeanPK

[java] Java distribution for kids

This topic is 4815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Let's see... my son likes to make games, and I have turned a couple of them into computer games; each time using it as an excuse to learn new languages (VBasic, then HTML/javascript). This time I am going to try it in Java. I have a very specific question before I start: given that this will be distributed on CD to 11 yr-olds, should I simply forget about writing it as an application, and focus on learning applets? I would prefer to do an application, but #1 criteria is that it has to be easy to distribute (you try explaining to an 11 yr. old that his parents first need to install a JRE, or to my son that his friends can't play his game...). At this stage I am not interested in detail on how to solve the distribution problem for applications -- just advice, with reasoning, on which is the way to go. thanks! Sean p.s. To make clear that my skills are rudimentary, here's my previous effort :-o http://www.mcgrath.nl/Madagascar/Start%20game.htm

Advertisement
Don't worry about installing a system JVM - just embed it in your application (in other words, lift out the entire contents of the Java lib and bin directories and bundle them along with your game). This is perfectly legal, very reliable... and quite large. But who cares as it's on a CD.

You'll get the best results if you write your own little launcher .exe that uses JNI to launch your game with the appropriate tweaky parameters but otherwise just a plain old batch file running the embedded javaw.exe will suffice.

Cas :)

that's a perfect answer, thanks Cas.

So you don't think I'll have problems with uninstalled components or questions to the user of "do you want to install ...."?

You could alternatively use JSmooth!

It's, in my opinion, a smoother way than to include a JVM or Libs that might not properly work on the target system.

thanks to you both for the replies -- that's all I need to know (for now). Looks like I will ignore learning applets for this program :-)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!