• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fazekaim

can i port a stencil based program to fbo-based program?

This topic is 4810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, i read this paper: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/fast_shadow_volumes.html i want to render an outdoor shadow effect from a sun-like light point. i don't know is this paper could be the best solution, i tried to use the Trapezoidal Shadow Mapping, but i failed to implement it. :( i'm not stencil buffer expert, and i have some experiences about Framebuffer Object. So, my question is, can i port a stencil-based shadow rendering algorithm to fbo "technology"? Thanks.

Advertisement
Shadow volumes (which you would use the stencil buffer for) and shadow mapping (which you could use FBOs for) are two completely different shadowing algorithms. So no, you can't really "port" one to the other. If your engine is designed well you should be able to just remove one and add the other without too much hassle though.

> Shadow volumes (which you would use the stencil buffer for) and shadow mapping
> (which you could use FBOs for) are two completely different shadowing algorithms.
I know. I don't know wich one could be faster or better looking. I have a lot of moving models and buildings ( turn based strategy game ), and i have a sun as light object.

> So no, you can't really "port" one to the other. If your engine is designed well
> you should be able to just remove one and add the other without too much hassle though.

It' not good to hear it. :( Thanks anyway.

Quote:
Original post by fazekaim
I know. I don't know wich one could be faster or better looking. I have a lot of moving models and buildings ( turn based strategy game ), and i have a sun as light object.
If you don't want to implement both and profile, I would recommend shadow mapping. It's my opinion that, overall, they are "better" than shadow volumes, and they scale better to more geometry. As with everything though, they each have their advantages and disadvantages.

is there any good opengl-based demo program using prjective shadow mapping?
i only found pdf-s and papers. a code i smore usefull to me then a theoretical paper. :(

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!