• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kelcharge

New Game Idea, What do you think?

This topic is 4817 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When I thought of this game idea, I decided I would get an opinion from my peers before I made it. This way I didn't end up making something that someone would never play. THE IDEA: The player gets a paddle, located at the bottom of the screen, and balls(if you will) fall from the top of the screen at a constant rate. The player can move the paddle back and forth and they can also wind back each side of the paddle so that the paddle goes from a straight line(from left to right) to a straight line(from down to up). When the button that winds the paddle is released, it is flung hitting a ball and sending it back towards the top of the screen. Each time you hit a ball you get points, you start off with one ball and another is added every so often. The balls never go away, you just have to keep them afloat, the more balls on the screen the more points each ball is worth.

Advertisement
Could be fun, but games based on multitasking can oftentimes get more frusterating than addictive. It may need some more elements to it -- powerups are a popular addition to any fundamental game idea ;P -- or perhaps a bit of a clearer explanation of the game itself. I get the gist of what you're saying, but not that good vivid stuff you see being pumped out by those fellows in the Game Design forum. :P

My advice: run with the idea! Code up the game and see how it fares. If it's not quite that fun right off the bat, then add in gameplay feature and quirks to see if it can grow into something fun. With enough fine-tuning, I'm sure it could reach a pinnacle of addictiveness!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!