• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
halo360

recomendation needed

This topic is 4811 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok id like to know if which of these few is the best starting programing language, visual basic, c++/visual c++, or visual c#. or are there any others you would recomend?

Advertisement
C++ / Visual C++ is pretty much the same thing. Microsoft call their IDE Visual C++. With C++ you're good for the long run, as it's the 'industry standard'. This is a very nice tutorial:

C++ tutorial

You will need a compiler and probably want an IDE to code, this is a good one:

Dev-C++

Many beginners like to start with Python, you might want to check that out too. Check out these links:

Why Python
Python Tutorial
Non-programmer's Python tutorial

Now you have to decide for yourself. All the best!

VB is considered by many to be easier, but lacks the down'n'dirty control (and thus the speed in the finished product) of C++. As a matter of fact, out of the three you mentioned I'd recommend you go with C#, because its features make it more forgiving of beginners than C++. And of course if I'm allowed to bring in other languages that you didn't mention, I'd second deavik's recommendation of Python.

Cheers,
Twilight Dragon

If your long term is to work in the games industry, I would try and stick with C++. VB is good to learn basic programming with, and is marginally easier than C# for learning. C# is viable for indie game development but not pro.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!