recomendation needed

Started by
5 comments, last by davedx 18 years, 7 months ago
ok id like to know if which of these few is the best starting programing language, visual basic, c++/visual c++, or visual c#. or are there any others you would recomend?
Advertisement
C++ / Visual C++ is pretty much the same thing. Microsoft call their IDE Visual C++. With C++ you're good for the long run, as it's the 'industry standard'. This is a very nice tutorial:

C++ tutorial

You will need a compiler and probably want an IDE to code, this is a good one:

Dev-C++

Many beginners like to start with Python, you might want to check that out too. Check out these links:

Why Python
Python Tutorial
Non-programmer's Python tutorial

Now you have to decide for yourself. All the best!
ok thank you:), and is vb easier or should i just stick with c++?
VB is considered by many to be easier, but lacks the down'n'dirty control (and thus the speed in the finished product) of C++. As a matter of fact, out of the three you mentioned I'd recommend you go with C#, because its features make it more forgiving of beginners than C++. And of course if I'm allowed to bring in other languages that you didn't mention, I'd second deavik's recommendation of Python.

Cheers,
Twilight Dragon
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
This discussion may (or may not! [wink]) answer your question.
well thank you everyone for the help. it helped don't worry.
If your long term is to work in the games industry, I would try and stick with C++. VB is good to learn basic programming with, and is marginally easier than C# for learning. C# is viable for indie game development but not pro.
---PS3dev

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement