Opera is now free - no ads

Started by
55 comments, last by kanzler 18 years, 7 months ago
Sticking with FF.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by load_bitmap_file
You can middle click your scroll wheel on a tab bar to close the tab.

While cool - and thanks for the tip - it's still not discoverable by exploration. Like I said, UI/UX doesn't seem to be big to most people here. You're all, after all, Power Users.
I love it. Faster, cleaner, better.

Now just to figure out a way to block all those piss annoying banner ads and I'm set. filter.ini doesn't appear to work for me.
Well I haven't heard a reason to try it yet. Firefox has never had memory problems for me, even leaving it on indefinately, and all of the features mentioned in this thread I already have equiped on my Firefox as well.

Maybe it'd be worth it if I had to switch computers a lot and didn't want to find all the extensions again, but for now I don't see a reason.
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
Using it again. There are lots of little annoyances in how it works that put me off. I have to wonder why they made certain design decisions the way they did. What is it with all the toolbars? Does anyone actually want all those toolbars? So much clutter. I know I can set it down, and I have. What is the purpose of the garbage can on the upper right?

I agree after a clean install, the clutter in Opera is really bad. Version 7 (IIRC) started this crap. I have mine cleaned and simplified and very functional and I love it. I haven't taken the time to learn mouse gestures yet.
Here's a screenie.

link

(I hope KSquared doesn't mind me sharing this :))
Quote:Original post by Fiddler
- Absolutely horrid shortcuts: Ctrl-P is print and not Preferences and so on. You can't change them, too.

Just a small detail, but Ctrl-P for printing is horrid? That's one of the most common shortcut (Well, on Windows at least).

Quote:Original post by Fiddler
- Ugly bookmark toolbar. Where is FF's favourite bookmarks toolbar?

Put in the "Personal bar", through the "Customize" menu and drop-and-drag your favorite bookmarks.
I will give it a try.
I like FF a lot, but it leaks way too much memory. I might have 1.2Gb of RAM, but that doesn't mean they are there so FF will leak them. I mean, 120 MB in about 1 day, that's a lot of wasted memory. And I don't have more than 4 windows open at a time.
If Opera won't leak, and I can get used with it's GUI, I will use it as my primary browser.
Wow, I am posting from Opera, and it has some really nice features compared to FF (without plug ins). I've noticed thise features in only a few minutes of browsing, btw:

1. Double click on a word will select it AND pop up a menu asking you what you want to do with that text (such as copy it). Very useful.
2. You can put the page bar at the bottom, which is almost like a task bar, the way I always wanted it to be.
3. You can change the order of the pages (very important for me).
4. Seems slightly faster than FF, but then again, it's a very fast computer so it's hard to tell for sure.

So far, it takes 46 MB of RAM, I hope it will not go to 120 like some other browser :D

I've got a bunch of computers running varying OSes and of widely varied vintage too, from my trusty Psion netBook, a Nokia 9500 Communicator, through my Athlon PC up to my current 'puter-du-jour, an iMac G5. All of these run Opera. (And yes, I am one of those weirdoes who have no qualms about paying actual money for a decent bit of software.)

Opera keeps me sane: I don't have to learn umpteen different UIs: just stick to the one.

Incidentally, users of Opera v8.0x should check out the current version, v8.5, which has a much cleaner initial GUI.

Of all the browsers I've used over the years, I think Opera deserve some kudos for a well-designed GUI and for truly innovating in this particular area. Remember, Firefox may have mouse gestures _now_, but Opera was the first browser to have this feature. Once you get used to it, you find yourself wondering why Windows and Mac OS X don't support gestures as standard. (I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to go back up a folder level by right-click-dragging.)

--
Sean Timarco Baggaley
Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
I'd happily try Opera - TBH I find Firefox a bit unstable, perhaps that's a bad install at my end though, I don't know (it started at v1.0.6 - lots of "Sorry for the inconvenience" crashes á la WinXP).

On my laptop just now I'm running Mozilla - pure Mozilla, not Firefox. It's definitely more powerful with more features, but it's missing some of the nice user-friendly bits that FF has enjoyed for ages (and some that you'd normally expect - in Mozilla 5 it is impossible to choose what folder a bookmark goes into - you have to save it and then manually drag it into the correct folder).

Yeah, I might try Opera.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement