Computers are the suXXors...

Started by
9 comments, last by Landsknecht 18 years, 6 months ago
Well, after trying everything and anything under the sun, I've finally got my problem narrowed down... Looks like a bad RAM controller. I was using 1gb of ram, in the form of 2x512. I'f I yank EITHER of the sticks, the machine works like a top. Either slot, either stick, makes no difference. As soon as I plug in the second stick, the machine starts exhibitting weird behavior. Random lock-ups, random program crashes, corrupted installs, corrupted DL's, you name it. Well, looks like a new mobo for me. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep my CPU, its a P4, 478 pin. Thanks in advance.
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Landsknecht
I'f I yank EITHER of the sticks, the machine works like a top.

It spins around on its axis until its angular momentum is overcome by friction and it falls over?

Cool. Never seen a computer do that.

On a less ridiculous note, I don't know much about P4 motherboards, being an AMD whore myself; but what was the one that just died on you? Any particular aversions to specific manufacturers/chipsets?

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

This may be because they are made by different manufacturers, or different speed. If you get 2 identical sticks it should work fine.
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
Quote:Original post by lethalhamster
This may be because they are made by different manufacturers, or different speed. If you get 2 identical sticks it should work fine.

Agreed. Try clocking the RAM a bit slower, and putting both in.
Nope, they are matched sticks. Mushkin 3200's. Bought em as a paired set.
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
Yeah, it's most likely a conflict with different brands/types of RAM.
I suggest putting both chips in and running a full-night Memtest, and let us know what happened. (Will give insight into what's wrong)
Quote:Original post by necreia
I suggest putting both chips in and running a full-night Memtest, and let us know what happened. (Will give insight into what's wrong)

If they do pass the memtest, lower the timings.
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
Quote:Original post by Landsknecht
I'f I yank EITHER of the sticks, the machine works like a top.

It spins around on its axis until its angular momentum is overcome by friction and it falls over?

Cool. Never seen a computer do that.

[grin][grin][grin][grin][grin][grin]
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Quote:Original post by vNistelrooy
Quote:Original post by necreia

Yeah. I had an almost identical problem and fixed it by dropping the timings slightly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement