Dynamic Terrain Mesh

Started by
7 comments, last by averisk 18 years, 6 months ago
So I want to make a terrain rendering engine which allows dynamic terrains and caves. Any suggestions of links to tutorials papers, etc.. Which I should look up? I'm especially interested in different LOD's for this type of terrain. Oh, and I have searched for it myself but haven't really found anything, all I find is just info on normal heightmaps... Thanks.
Advertisement
I would have to say one of the most comprehensive collections of papers, tutorials, implementations, etc of terrain engines is at www.vterrain.org. I got my start there, and have since had a couple of different implementations based on articles and papers at this site. Deffinately a good place to start.
Yea, I have looked on that site, but haven't found anything that I'm looking for :(
I know its not too much help, but i know that with unreal tournament 2k3/2k4 caves are made by simply transforming the terrain to be (for example) one on top of each other, of course this is very limiting, but it allows you to employ the normal LOD algorithms involved with terrain rendering.

hope that helps
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
hmm I think a terrain based on voxels could do that. Try googling "voxel".
And I think I remember of a guy here in gamedev who posted screenshots of a terrain made with this method (he had some problems texturing it) so you can also try to search the forums here (I think with "voxel terrain" you'll have some good posts)
Look at http://www.xinix.org/sven/hvox.techinfo.html. There are also many links to similar engines. Anyway this type of terrain allows caves, overhangs, holes, etc..
Voxels are great but they're still a bit far off from being a practical option in todays games.

With that said, there is relatively little work on terrain rendering with overhangs and caves and voxels do tend to be the standard approach.

I would suggest using ChunkedLOD. The input geometry is generally a heightmap, but that is not necessarily a restriction of the algorithm. You can use the progressive mesh algorithm to generate your LOD levels from arbitrary geometry and simply use those chunks at runtime.

You'll have to use a different method to patch up cracks, since skirts obviously won't work too well.

Texturing also might be a bit more complex, but I would have to think about this more to come up with a creative solution. I am confident that a solution exists, it just hasn't been invented yet, as far as I know.

Also, it would be quit difficult to make your terrain dynamically destructible using this method. Progressive meshes are relatively fast and could potentially be used to rebuild your LOD levels at runtime. You definitely wouldn't want to recalculate more than a few chunks per frame so it's simply going to depend on how often things get deformed. Note that several deformations could occur on the same chunk and that would be fine, since it's still one chunk that you have to rebuild.

Anyway, I need to get back to work. I hope this helps. Good luck with everything.
http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~mag/epcg10.pdf

Procedural Landscapes with overhangs by Manuel Gamito and Ken 'first true fractal-based artist' Musgrave.
Quote:Original post by paic
hmm I think a terrain based on voxels could do that. Try googling "voxel".
And I think I remember of a guy here in gamedev who posted screenshots of a terrain made with this method (he had some problems texturing it) so you can also try to search the forums here (I think with "voxel terrain" you'll have some good posts)

This one?

Well I've been doing some work in this area for awhile, and let me tell you, it's not for the faint of heart ;)
I'm still working on that metaball-based system mentioned in that post, but I hardly have any time to work on it anymore (school is very demanding), so progress is slow :(
For LOD I basically read the paper referred to me by 'Aki' in that other thread, as well as a lot of the references, and then came up with my own custom scheme based on everything I read

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement