• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
moo_ski_doo

DirectX Control panel properties

This topic is 4658 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know why almost all of the options in the DirectX properties dialog (control panel applet) are grayed out on one of my machines? On all my other machines, all the options are all available and as far as I'm aware there should be no difference. I've tried re-installing the DirectX SDK but it hasn't made a difference. Any ideas? -Mark.

Advertisement
IIRC, this type of behavior occurs when your runtime version and your SDK version don't match (specifically, if the SDK version is less [you can't have an SDK version greater than your runtime version, although you can install a new runtime without updating SDKs]). I think the only way to fix it is to upgrade SDKs.

What SDK version and runtime version are you using?

Thanks for the reply.

I think they're both the latest versions. I've got DirectX 9.0c runtime and the DirectX 9 SDK installed. I can't find anything newer on the Microsoft site. I've tried reinstalling the SDK but it hasn't helped.

At the moment, the best idea I've come up with is a complete reinstall of Windows, but this seems a bit drastic!

-Mark.

Quote:
Original post by Coder
If the SDK and runtime versions do match, copy the debug DLLs from SDKPath\Developer Runtime\x86 into WindowsPath\System32

I had considered that but Windows File Protection is stopping me at the moment, so I'll have to figure out how to turn that off first!

Which version of windows are you running?

I can't remember exactly what/where it matters, but some parts of the SDK are dependent on having Windows XP Professional to work, and definitely won't work with the older systems (although, I think it now stops you even installing on an unsupported OS).

hth
Jack

I'm running Windows 2000, but it's the same OS that I'm running on my other machines where this problem isn't apparent. The SDK certainly installed without any complaints anyway, and apart from this problem everything seems to be working fine.

Why does it work on my other Win2k machines then? Do you think they might have an old version of the SDK installed (how can you find out?)? If so, where can you download an old version of the SDK from?

That's too many questions!

Thanks again,

-Mark.

Quote:
Original post by moo_ski_doo
Why does it work on my other Win2k machines then?

Although it isn't supported, it still works. "Not supported" is Microsoft's way of relieving themselves from absolutely any tech support.

Quote:
Do you think they might have an old version of the SDK installed (how can you find out?)?

If all else fails, you can check the Documentation. They always have some kind of indicators there.

Quote:
If so, where can you download an old version of the SDK from?

I assume you want an older version of the DX9 SDK. You may have a bit of trouble finding these, since MS usually removes their links. Try searching google.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!