• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RDragon1

Getting 'additional information' from a 3dsmax render...

This topic is 4824 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have an animated character model in 3ds max that I am rendering to 2d images. When rendering an animation, I need to output some additional information, to a text file perhaps. I will place some kind of dummy point or object in the scene, that moves around from one frame to the next. I don't wish to actually render the object in the output images, but I need to keep track of where it is. I need to project the point from where it's at in the 3d model in each frame, to where that point ends up in the 2d image. In other words, take for example the feet - I want to specify a point on the toe, and for each 2d rendered frame, I want to know the X,Y locations of where the toe ends up. I'm a programmer, and I don't have my bearings around 3ds max (though our artist does, and he's been a good help so far) - I would like some guidance as I'm not really sure about how or where this functionality "plugs in". What kind of interface is exposed that might accomplish this?

Advertisement
Well you can render two times, one with the objec visible and another with invisible then you pick the XY coordinates and use with the dummy object invisible. Notice that you'd have to use "renderable" dummy objects.. hope that makes sense.

Maxscript should be sufficent, documentation comes with Max. Finding the renderable position of a Helper Point should not be a problem, nor writing the coords to a text file is trivial. There are lots of documentation and examples to pull from.

If you have more questions about maxscript, I can try to point you in the right direction, pm or email me.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!