bit of a long shot

Started by
1 comment, last by shaobohou 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I am not sure if it is appropriate to post this here, if it isn't, can someone point me to a suitable forum on the net that can help. I have been reading the Voice Puppetry paper by Matthew Brand: http://www.merl.com/reports/docs/TR99-20.pdf but I am having some trouble understanding section 4.5 and especially equation 6. It is suppose to solve for a set of points Y but it seems to me to only solve for a single point y_t. Does that mean it needs to be applied iteratively to obtain the rest of the points or does it only represent part of the solution? any help will be appreciated. thanks
Just because it is not nice, doesn''t mean it is not miraculous.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by shaobohou
Hi,

I am not sure if it is appropriate to post this here, if it isn't, can someone point me to a suitable forum on the net that can help.

I have been reading the Voice Puppetry paper by Matthew Brand: http://www.merl.com/reports/docs/TR99-20.pdf
but I am having some trouble understanding section 4.5 and especially equation 6. It is suppose to solve for a set of points Y but it seems to me to only solve for a single point y_t. Does that mean it needs to be applied iteratively to obtain the rest of the points or does it only represent part of the solution?

any help will be appreciated.

thanks

I didn't have time to read the whole thing, but you appear to be correct in that it only solves for a single point y(t). However, the paper implies that at this point you already know s(t), the state space, from which you can compute any of the other y(t). Again, I didn't read it very thoroughly.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Quote:Original post by kSquared
I didn't have time to read the whole thing, but you appear to be correct in that it only solves for a single point y(t). However, the paper implies that at this point you already know s(t), the state space, from which you can compute any of the other y(t). Again, I didn't read it very thoroughly.

thanks for reply, I think there are lot of details not explained in the paper, at least they are not obvious to me. The blocked-banded system of linear equations derived is odd (I can see the blocks but where are the bands), and it seems to try to solve for the mean of the gaussians even though they are already known.

Equation 6, after all the transposes have been applied, is a D * 5D matrix multiplying a length 5D column vector and equals a length 5D column vector of zeroes, D = dim(y_t), I think. I am not sure how this non square system is solved, the section of the book it references only deal with LU decomposition of squared banded matrix.

this is frustrating.
Just because it is not nice, doesn''t mean it is not miraculous.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement