Quake 3 source + art = game?

Started by
8 comments, last by MENTAL 18 years, 7 months ago
Alright, I realize that I've just humiliated myself in front of a large audience, but please forgive this one unbelievably ignorant question: After one compiles the Q3 source as it's provided by id software, is all that is lacking to make it a full game the maps, art and such? Please don't hurt me :(
Advertisement
No. The quake 3 source code is just the engine (graphics, audio, input, network, etc). there is no actual *game* code with it. For that, you will need to take a look at the Quake 3 SDK, which has the source code for the game aspect. This is the part that you will probably need to change, unless you plan on releasing "Quake 3 Arena with Different Art", in which case a mod would probably be better :).

Hope it helps.
*black-out*

How would one define 'game code' in this instance?

Any references or information which might make me feel slightly less out-of-place here? :)
Yes, the current full source code includes the game code. No need for a separate download.

So, yes, if you have the art, you simply recompile and quake3 will play. Note that all of the punkbuster implementation was removed.
Quote:Original post by Gorg
Yes, the current full source code includes the game code. No need for a separate download.

So, yes, if you have the art, you simply recompile and quake3 will play. Note that all of the punkbuster implementation was removed.

That's what I thought as well: that all source code except for the Punkbuster stuff was included, and minus the art, maps, etcetera, which falls under copyright law.

So, is this code in its current form 'hard-coded' for the Q3 maps, art, and such, or can one drop-in new game resources and expect it to work?

Thank you :)
my mistake - I didn't realise it came with the game source code. In that case yes, you can drop in your own maps and models and play quake 3 arena with them.

If you want to make a new game using the quake 3 engine, then things start to get complicated (google "quake 3" "modding guide").
So I'd just follow the regular path of creating a Q3 mod?

(which isn't as complicated as creating a 3D game from scratch, you know :p )
Quote:Original post by Elledan

It's still more work to make a stand alone game, as you'd need to remove all references to the original assets from the code or replace them with your own. With a mod, you can just add new stuff, because it's assumed that the person playing it will already have quake 3. When you make a stand alone game, you can't distribute any of id's assets along with it, so you need to make sure that the game doesn't rely on any of them.

Quote:Original post by Orbviper
Quote:Original post by Elledan

It's still more work to make a stand alone game, as you'd need to remove all references to the original assets from the code or replace them with your own. With a mod, you can just add new stuff, because it's assumed that the person playing it will already have quake 3. When you make a stand alone game, you can't distribute any of id's assets along with it, so you need to make sure that the game doesn't rely on any of them.

That's the main problem I'm seeing as well. During my recent Google adventures I encountered some applications called 'mod launchers', which allow one to launch a mod without having to start the original game (in this case Q3) first. Maybe that would be the easiest approach?

As far as I can determine, using such a mod launcher would completely bypass any part of the original game's content (menu and everything beyond that).

Any thoughts?
All a mod launcher does is run quake with the parameter "+set fs_game MOD_NAME_HERE", as opposed to making you activate it through the menu.

Just remember that although the source code was put under the GPL, the maps, models, textures (in-face everything in the .pak files) isn't, so if you want to release a standalone game then you will need to replace EVERYTHING with your own design, or fear the wrath of id software :).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement